Random Thought of the Day

October 22nd, 2014 at 11:08:47 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Throw a teabag in there and you've got chai.
October 23rd, 2014 at 3:56:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Wind chill is only factored when "Temperatures [are] above -50 °F and below 50 °F" per NOAA, found out this morning.

Just saying you learn something every day.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 27th, 2014 at 8:00:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I fund out that when I do something incredibly stupid, or careless (the jury still out on that one), I don't need to post it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or even here.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 27th, 2014 at 10:20:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
I fund out that when I do something incredibly stupid, or careless (the jury still out on that one), I don't need to post it on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or even here.

Like so?

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 28th, 2014 at 11:04:01 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
Like so?

If I were to discuss it here, it would ruin my epiphany ;)
October 29th, 2014 at 2:25:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Time online magazine has a headline:

Daylight Saving Time: What you need to know

I realize a lot of people can't remember the "Fall back" "Spring forward" meme, or never heard it, but usually "what you need to know" would be used for something a little more complicated.

Not much better than,

Stop Sign: what you need to know.

True, some people don't get that right either.

Eh, maybe they have a point after all.

: )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 29th, 2014 at 3:52:37 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Time online magazine has a headline:

Daylight Saving Time: What you need to know

I realize a lot of people can't remember the "Fall back" "Spring forward" meme, or never heard it, but usually "what you need to know" would be used for something a little more complicated.

Not much better than,

I say permanent daylight savings time. Not thrilled with changing the clock.
I would rather go to work in early morning darkness and have some daylight when I get off work in the Winter.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 29th, 2014 at 4:21:42 PM permalink
Nareed

To this day, I hear arguments between Mexican nationals as to what one should do about a stop sign when driving in America.

See, stop lights in Mexico are considered suggestions. You know, "red means you may want to consider thinking about stopping at this point." Stop signs, and there are a few, are universally ignored. If you as much as slow down for one, you'll arouse the ire of every driver behind you.

You can be ticketed for running a stop light, but that's rare. I've never heard of anyone being given a ticket for running a stop sign.

In the US, of course, it means "come to a complete stop." As in "the car ought not be moving at the line marked by a stop sign."

Mexicans find this unbelievable, even ones who travel often to the US and have driven there. Most favor slowing down, looking both ways at the intersection, then stepping hard on the gas to make up for lost time.
October 31st, 2014 at 1:04:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Yup. Clown problem.

Quote:
police in France have been forced to issue a warning against vigilante mobs, stating: 'Any person, aggressive clowns or hunters of clowns, discovered in possession of a weapon on the highway will be arrested.'
October 31st, 2014 at 2:19:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
Mexicans find this unbelievable, even ones who travel often to the US and have driven there. Most favor slowing down, looking both ways at the intersection, then stepping hard on the gas to make up for lost time.
The trouble is that Mexicans still believe this after living in this country for sixteen years. And still drive as if right of way was determined by the loudness of one's horn.

Different countries have different rules, most travelers take the time and effort to learn.

"California stop" is now used to describe what you have set forth. It did not use to be that way.