Random Thought of the Day

April 20th, 2017 at 7:50:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
A pension is immune from being seized by a creditor but once those payments are paid to the beneficiary they are like any other asset of the debtor.

A pension cannot be assigned directly to
a creditor. If you have $2000 in the bank
and it's from a pension, it can be seized.
The trick is to find another way for the
pension to pay you besides a deposit to
a bank account. It could go into a 3rd
party account, maybe.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 20th, 2017 at 8:04:52 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Evenbob
A pension cannot be assigned directly to
a creditor. If you have $2000 in the bank
and it's from a pension, it can be seized.
The trick is to find another way for the
pension to pay you besides a deposit to
a bank account. It could go into a 3rd
party account, maybe.

Now we get to the real problem with the cashless society. If you are a creditor (even unproven) you will be homeless and living on charity and theft.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 22nd, 2017 at 5:18:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My invention for saving tons of energy: a '"Cool Suit".TM (I mean if the name works, you know it's got to be a good idea!)

A body suit you wear at home that just cools your body, not your whole house. Maybe it blows a cool breeze upwards where your head sticks out.

Regardless of the cost of running the suit (through electricity) it can't be anywhere near as high as cooling the whole house.

Details are not forthcoming as there aren't any.

However if one of you makes a billion dollars from the idea, send a few bucks my way.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 22nd, 2017 at 6:28:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: rxwine
Details are not forthcoming as there aren't any.
Just fill your pockets with ice.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 22nd, 2017 at 7:45:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: petroglyph
Just fill your pockets with ice.

Pretty sure you'd still be mostly hot with frostbite to your balls on top of it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 24th, 2017 at 6:38:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The Starbucks rewards card is really odd. You're never asked if you have one, or are offered one when you make a purchase. They are displayed at the register and nothing more.

Once you get one, everything is done through the app. but you can't just download the app and register. Weird.

Anyway, I got one. It's really a payment card, insofar as your "stars" are tied to using the card to pay (using the app).

For now it's a great deal because 1) the cappuccino in the size I usually get is discounted 30%, so it's cheaper than at cheaper places and 2) you get a drink free in your birthday month, which happens to be this month.

It's still really odd.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 24th, 2017 at 12:11:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I'm told that all those coffee shop cards/apps/etc are not so much used for their discounts but for their time saving features. You call from your cell phone a block away and its ready when you get there without even having to describe your drink selection.

All nonsense to me. I'm lucky to get Boiled Roach Coffee.
April 24th, 2017 at 12:59:03 PM permalink
rxwine
If you don't use your card much, the balance sits in their accounts as opposed to yours. I use mine quite a bit. But I rarely have more than $20 at a time in it.
April 24th, 2017 at 1:05:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Putin's recent moves against the 'garage economy' indicates he wants to tax the giant underground economy and that means crimping its ability to function with under the table payments.
April 24th, 2017 at 1:14:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
If you don't use your card much, the balance sits in their accounts as opposed to yours. I use mine quite a bit. But I rarely have more than $20 at a time in it.

I don't ever expect to have that much in it :)

BTW, the app locates stores, and lists rewards as well as serving as a means of payment. Why doesn't it include a menu also? That would be quite helpful.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER