Random Thought of the Day

May 30th, 2017 at 11:00:10 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Lots of sugar, lots of lactose, lots of salt.
May 30th, 2017 at 1:31:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It might be time to start learning German and French (damn!)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 30th, 2017 at 2:28:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Nareed
It might be time to start learning German and French (damn!)

When I was growing up seemed like French was a favorite to learn. But Spanish is probably more useful in the US in general as a second language.

You really want to learn ridiculously long words in German?

There's a process that Germans use to make ridiculously long words.

Explanation in video is in German but there's an excellent chance you don't need to understand German to understand it.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 30th, 2017 at 2:38:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine
When I was growing up seemed like French was a favorite to learn. But Spanish is probably more useful in the US in general as a second language.

There's a process that Germans use to make ridiculously long words.

Explanation in video is in German but there's an excellent chance you don't need to understand German to understand it.

Laughed. Loudly. Still laughing.

Rhababerkuchen seems a good term for those prone to redundancy. After perhaps the 5th time repeating one's argument, it should all be declared rhabarberkuchen.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 30th, 2017 at 2:47:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
But Spanish is probably more useful in the US in general as a second language.

I already know Spanish.

Quote:

Hell, no. But that's the way it is.

I don't want to learn French, either.

Quote:

I don't speak German, but from what I've observed, they are fond of compounding words more than other languages (except perhaps for Newspeak). Like one of their intelligence or law enforcement agencies, the <deep breath> Bundesnachrichtendienst <whew!>

I know "Bundes" is something like Federal, and "dienst" means something like service or servant. So it's a national service that does the thing in the middle (whatever it means).

In principle that's no different than "Central Intelligence Agency." In practice, it should consist of three words, not one.

On the other hand, I'll raise "antidisestablishmentarianism."

So there :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 30th, 2017 at 3:49:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Bundesnachrichtendienst <whew!>

You bind and snatch rich tendencies, obviously =p

While they can be a mouthful, or, sometimes, a throatful, I do appreciate their penchant for long words that are really entire phrases. Backpfeifengesicht is my obvious favorite, and I think the action is better performed with a 5 syllable Germanic bark than the typical rolling mouthful we have to spew to convey the emotion.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 31st, 2017 at 1:21:53 PM permalink
Fleastiff
WHY? Merchants used to be more honest. But now:
I buy a bag of apples and one at the bottom is sure to unfit.
I buy a bag of chilie peppers and sure... one of them is limp and smells and affects the others by the time I discover it.
Same with blueberries, a bag of oranges, etc.

It can't be accidental because they are always hidden at the bottom.
May 31st, 2017 at 1:34:51 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
WHY? Merchants used to be more honest. But now:
I buy a bag of apples and one at the bottom is sure to unfit.
I buy a bag of chilie peppers and sure... one of them is limp and smells and affects the others by the time I discover it.
Same with blueberries, a bag of oranges, etc.

It can't be accidental because they are always hidden at the bottom.

Buying bags of fruit can be an exercise in finding value since a bag can be so much cheaper per unit [they often switch up the type of units so it's not easy to compare - grrrr]. I noticed a bag of lemons was ridiculously cheaper per unit the other day, I estimated nearly half could be bad and it would still be cheaper. Of course you are still wasting your money if you really only need a couple, so there's that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 31st, 2017 at 3:17:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Even bad lemons can be used to clean glassware that has become clouded by coffee stains or the like. I find I have to use up a bag of anything rather promptly. I really don't like these 3 avacodo pricing instead of paying for one. Fortunately, I don't really consume much in the way of produce.
May 31st, 2017 at 4:37:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Even bad lemons can be used to clean glassware
I have a lemon tree. Before they are ripe they are green and I suspect some are sold as limes in grocery stores. So it made me wonder, If someone picks a lemon before it is ripe, what is the worst that can happen, it would be sour?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW