Random Thought of the Day

May 31st, 2017 at 6:17:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Great idea: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/30/15713394/intel-compute-card-pocket-pc-computex-2017-lg-dell-lenovo

Of course you also need a power supply and a display and keyboard and mouse and printer, but I see plenty of possibilities.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 31st, 2017 at 6:30:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Great idea: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/30/15713394/intel-compute-card-pocket-pc-computex-2017-lg-dell-lenovo

Of course you also need a power supply and a display and keyboard and mouse and printer, but I see plenty of possibilities.

I use lots of computers that have no mouse, keyboard, or monitor. As long as it is on a wireless network I can remote into it and do everything.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 1st, 2017 at 5:00:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think Mummy blogger Constance Hall got it right: After surviving 13 years in a Bali prison, Corby doesn't care one whit about the comments of Internet Trolls.
June 1st, 2017 at 6:43:31 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed

Here's more info: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/compute-card/intel-compute-card.html

What could you do with this? Well:

Build a monitor with a power supply, ports, and a graphics card, onto which you can dock your tiny computer. Instant desktop. When you upgrade, you replace the little card only.

The same but with a laptop.

The same with a tablet.

As a bonus, you could have one computer and three "shells." So there'd be no need for copying files or even for storing them in the cloud. On a trip just switch the card from the desktop to the laptop and off you go.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 1st, 2017 at 2:39:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: petroglyph
I have a lemon tree. Before they are ripe they are green and I suspect some are sold as limes in grocery stores. So it made me wonder, If someone picks a lemon before it is ripe, what is the worst that can happen, it would be sour?

Hehe... I think about this with pungent cheeses or other fermented food stuff. How do you know it's rotten?
June 1st, 2017 at 6:24:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Can anyone tell me WHY TwitterSpace is so full of this same sentence all over the place: The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
I know that, everyone knows that. Its nothing remotely new. Why is everyone tweeting it all over the place????
June 3rd, 2017 at 7:56:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Can anyone tell me WHY TwitterSpace is so full of this same sentence all over the place: The mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell.
I know that, everyone knows that. Its nothing remotely new. Why is everyone tweeting it all over the place????

Because your mitochondria can make you gay?

That's not a joke [well, that was, but the claim is not]. I'll explain if requested.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 3rd, 2017 at 8:00:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Met with a guy who's into metal detecting. He finds a lot of buttons, and apparently archaeologists expect to find a lot of buttons if digging around 18th, 19th century. Random buttons that just popped off clothing, it seems.

It occurs to me that they had trouble keeping their buttons on in those days. I really have to believe in the future, scouring around for missing buttons that we would leave today, would be disappointing. Why do they stay on better now?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 3rd, 2017 at 8:30:50 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My new swim trunks have a Velcro fly. Does anyone else understand the problem with Velcro in this area?
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 3rd, 2017 at 9:05:31 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
My new swim trunks have a Velcro fly. Does anyone else understand the problem with Velcro in this area?

Better than getting caught in a zipper.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin