Random Thought of the Day

June 14th, 2017 at 10:42:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
In addition, time and weather permitting, I would like to do a short trip to Tula, Hidalgo (Paco surely knows why).

I have tried to see as many archaeological sites as I could, but I haven't been to that one.
June 15th, 2017 at 8:38:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
I have tried to see as many archaeological sites as I could, but I haven't been to that one.

I visited when I was 11 or so. perhaps we spent 20 minutes at the site... I think that's where I found a piece of obsidian on the ground. Probably detritus from a souvenir stand.

I should also take a day trip to the Sun and Moon Pyramids right outside Mex City.

BTW the stories I'm working on are, in order: "Crystal Clear," "Ours," and "The Third Necropolis." Assuming I can finish them and there's enough time, I may also do "One Trillion Terawatts."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 15th, 2017 at 12:10:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The real story behind the "Friends" series.

Phoebe was a homeless woman, who stared into the cafe' at times while wandering around, where the other characters sat who she didn't know and were actually different kind of people. All the stories about them were her fevered imagination where she actually had friends.

Someone made that alternative idea up, and it went viral enough for the original creator of "Friends" to respond how sad it was.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 16th, 2017 at 7:23:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Every once in awhile I get curious about some person in the news, or TV, and who their spouse or love interest might be. Tonight I googled "Don Lemon's wife".

Oops, missed that one. Not much of a gaydar I guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 19th, 2017 at 8:19:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Don't you hate it when the supermarket runs a 3 for 2 sale on a product, and then stop carrying the variety you want?
June 19th, 2017 at 9:04:09 AM permalink
Nareed
Letting the laptop go un-updated for a year is not the best idea in the world.
June 19th, 2017 at 7:15:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
In 2014, the social networking company The Draugiem Group used a time-tracking productivity app to study what habits set their most productive employees apart.

The key to their productivity was that for every 52 minutes of focused work, they took a 17-minute break
Surprisingly, the top 10% of employees with the highest productivity didn’t put in longer hours than anyone else – often they didn't even work eight-hour days. Instead, the key to their productivity was that for every 52 minutes of focused work, they took a 17-minute break.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170612-why-you-should-manage-your-energy-not-your-time
June 20th, 2017 at 4:31:40 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I doubt this will be of interest to many managers. Managers want to exercise control over their subordinates rather than control over productivity.
June 20th, 2017 at 10:58:10 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
I doubt this will be of interest to many managers. Managers want to exercise control over their subordinates rather than control over productivity.
Not only that but some managers have an insatiable need for ass kissers.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 26th, 2017 at 9:21:52 AM permalink
Nareed
Here's a simplistic, but I think fair, solution to the gerrymandering issue:

1) Set up a bipartisan comission, made up of equal numbers from each party.
2) Have a coin toss.
3) The party that wins the coin toss chooses to either draw or approve.
4) Draw means the party draws the districts.
5) Approve means the party approves or rejects the drawing. If rejected, the other party must attempt it again, with a different drawing.
6) After three rejections, the parties switch.
7) Repeat until party A comes with an acceptable scheme for party B, or viceversa.
8) No elections can be held until a drawing is approved.

This is a variation on how two reasonable people divide a piece of cake: one cuts the piece, the other chooses which part to take.