Random Thought of the Day

August 7th, 2017 at 7:24:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Baked onion rings could be done perfectly in zero-g.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 8th, 2017 at 2:57:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I've heard of Google Voice, but have never run across it.

And the downside of Google, too, is that you never know when they'll discontinue a service.

Google Voice used to be called "Grand Central" because it was an app to route calls to different numbers (or voice mail) which could be easily altered for time of day, The idea was instead of giving away your private cell number, you could simply route a call to it.

After Google purchased the company they gave it away for free, and some people were always afraid that Google would cancel the service or that they were using to gather marketing data.

Many people simply install it on wifi phones and use it as a free phone service. A similar type of phone is MagicJack.

You must have a reference phone number to activate Google Voice. They don't want drug dealers and kidnappers to have an unlimited source of untraceable phone numbers.
August 8th, 2017 at 9:05:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 14th, 2017 at 7:36:42 AM permalink
Nareed
What if the immune reactions involved in allergies aren't a defect of the immune system, but an essential protection against a real, though likely very minor, risk?
August 14th, 2017 at 10:04:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What if the immune reactions involved in allergies aren't a defect of the immune system, but an essential protection against a real, though likely very minor, risk?
Precisely. An "allergy" to dust mites is really a reaction to scorpion venom since a portion of the dust mite detritus just happens to have the same three dimensional shape as a fragment of scorpion venom. Its good to have an immediate defense against scorpions if you live in North Africa but in a hotel room in Vegas you will encounter dust mites.
August 16th, 2017 at 8:05:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Watching a movie made in '69 where one of the key characters is a beautiful woman. But she has a hairdo that is so distracting to me that I just keep going 'ugh' - I can't get past it.

It occurs to me that many styles that go out come back in to fashion, but when it comes to hairdos, many will never be seen again.

Edit: changed picture

similar to this. Maybe it's 'just me'?

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 16th, 2017 at 11:46:23 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
Watching a movie made in '69 where one of the key characters is a beautiful woman. But she has a hairdo that is so distracting to me that I just keep going 'ugh' - I can't get past it.

It occurs to me that many styles that go out come back in to fashion, but when it comes to hairdos, many will never be seen again.

Edit: changed picture

similar to this. Maybe it's 'just me'?

When I was in high school all the girls I wanted to go out with had that hair style.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 16th, 2017 at 12:47:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Distracting

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 16th, 2017 at 1:11:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Does anyone else think the various companies in the gig economy (or "sharing" economy) are repeating the mistakes of the early factory owners at the dawn of the industrial revolution?
August 16th, 2017 at 1:25:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Does anyone else think the various companies in the gig economy (or "sharing" economy) are repeating the mistakes of the early factory owners at the dawn of the industrial revolution?

Some ideas are never right. Some ideas are just not at the right time to be useful or are harmful for that reason. Now let me think of some examples.