Random Thought of the Day

January 12th, 2018 at 11:38:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Surströmming?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2018 at 11:54:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Surströmming?

One can said "Salmon salad." The company supplies us with copious amounts of canned tuna, mostly packed in water.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 12th, 2018 at 1:09:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I dance (and sing) every single day I don't feel like dying. Certainly well more than 100 times per year. Hip hop, mountain, smoke (when I have the energy), waltz (when the dog cooperates)...why in all hells wouldn't you dance? Do you not know happiness? Have you never heard a banjo?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 12th, 2018 at 1:23:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Face
I dance (and sing) every single day I don't feel like dying. Certainly well more than 100 times per year. Hip hop, mountain, smoke (when I have the energy), waltz (when the dog cooperates)...why in all hells wouldn't you dance? Do you not know happiness? Have you never heard a banjo?

My dad, who was a pretty good ukulele player tried to master the banjo late in life. Unfortunately due to declining health, his playing never got too advanced.

He picked up the ukulele when it was on its first surge of popularity in the 40s/50s. He would have been pleased to see all the sudden popularity in it, though it may have only lasted a couple years.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 12th, 2018 at 1:37:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
.why in all hells wouldn't you dance?

Cause it feels and looks idiotic? Just
a guess. Why do you think most men
hate dancing.

Dance? I'd Rather Have my Fingernails Pulled Out! | Psychology Today

"I just have no taste for dancing. I don’t enjoy it and it definitely doesn’t make me feel good. When I do dance, I always feel like I’m forcing it, these weird artificial flailing and shaking motions I’m trying to make my body do. This is not what my arms and legs were built for... I was born this way. I don’t like dancing. It seems like an alien activity to me: why, when there’s music playing, do these human creatures feel compelled to shake their flesh around? What is it that renders them unable to maintain composure and instead bend and contort their bodies into shapes they don’t normally take. It can certainly be entrancing and delightful to watch, but I do not grok it." Henry Reich
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 12th, 2018 at 1:38:24 PM permalink
Face
I would've thought it'd've been near identical. My buddy "Elvis" (front man of 'Kickstart Rumble') just picked up a mandolin. Reminded me exactly of a banjo how the one string doesn't reach the end of the neck. Asked him how it was going and he says it's a pretty intuitive switch from 6 string to mando, though of course he's played guitar every single day since the age of 14 or so.

I don't "get" music people. I could play the 1st stanza of "Moonlight Sonata" (on piano) before I snapped my hand in half, but it was a pure, brute force, rote way of playing. Less of (See also: None) reading a language and more "Konami Code" type memorization. Same with the bass guitar I used to play. A lot of humming to find a note, find the note on the string, and then string em all together. Basically just a game of Simon.

I play a 12 string now. I'm convinced that while the craft gets better with practice, it starts with having the craft at all. Like anything to do with math, my brain just doesn't function that way.
January 12th, 2018 at 1:39:40 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob

Cause it feels and looks idiotic? Just
a guess. Why do you think most men
hate dancing.

Dance? I'd Rather Have my Fingernails Pulled Out! | Psychology Today

"I just have no taste for dancing. I don’t enjoy it and it definitely doesn’t make me feel good. When I do dance, I always feel like I’m forcing it, these weird artificial flailing and shaking motions I’m trying to make my body do. This is not what my arms and legs were built for... I was born this way. I don’t like dancing. It seems like an alien activity to me: why, when there’s music playing, do these human creatures feel compelled to shake their flesh around? What is it that renders them unable to maintain composure and instead bend and contort their bodies into shapes they don’t normally take. It can certainly be entrancing and delightful to watch, but I do not grok it." Henry Reich

Spoken like a true German ;)
January 12th, 2018 at 1:45:23 PM permalink
rxwine
I play a 12 string now. I'm convinced that while the craft gets better with practice, it starts with having the craft at all. Like anything to do with math, my brain just doesn't function that way.

It certainly comes easier to some people. I was reading some about Jimi Hendrix awhile back. Said he had his guitar with him all the time and playing everywhere. You either get really good that way, or annoy the hell out of people. I've heard a few sidewalk players I would pay to go away. Some are pretty good though. Unfortunately, pretty good is a dime a dozen for many wanna be players.
January 12th, 2018 at 2:01:40 PM permalink
Face
Indeed. I've two buddies (Elvis is one) who when I start singing whatever's stuck in my head, they can just grab an axe, spend literally <10sec picking a few chords, then immediately bang out the full thing perfectly. Elvis is the more spooky of the two. I've little doubt that if I posed to him a ska song but requested it in swing style, he'd already be playing it before I could wrap my head around what it would sound like to confirm his success. I don't understand how that works.

I've been grilling him recently. Since he started, some 10,000 days ago, he has gone a full day of not playing less than 10 times. I can't even fathom that level of commitment.
January 12th, 2018 at 2:06:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've been grilling him recently. Since he started, some 10,000 days ago, .

30 years? The only thing I've done
steadily for 30 years is take a dump
every day.. I'm real good at it too..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.