every day. He tried to take lessons
as a kid to play complicated Beethoven
but the dexterity needed was out of
his toolbox. And he's a genius player,
can play anything from memory after
just hearing it once. He knows the Beethoven
piece above, he just hasn't the skill to
play it.

I remember reading some commentary from a classical pianist that you can't reach the upper echelons of skill unless you either accidently or purposely start with some of the correct techniques. Lots of different hand and finger positions allow you to get fast, but the technique to get that last 5-10 percent is very particular and limited.

The Marx Brothers and others prove however, that you can still do an awful lot with unorthodox playing.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 20th, 2018 at 3:51:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Unorthodox keyboards would probably help too,
January 27th, 2018 at 3:23:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
During the "shithole comment phase" of the Trump Presidency, somebody told me that Hillary was notorious for foul language. I had never heard that before; google search came up with this,

https://www.naturalnews.com/055582_Hillary_Clinton_foul_language_abuse_of_women.html#

PS, and this,

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/441367/hillary-clintons-security-detail-curses-foul-mouth
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 27th, 2018 at 6:15:41 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I don't think the issue is that shithole is a foul word, rather that Trump used a negative disparaging term to describe certain countries. That word just also happened to be foul word.

If those articles about Clinton are true, then it certainly says something about her. What it says about her is different than what Trump's comment says about him.

So to summarize, it isn't the foul language, it's what it is used for.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 27th, 2018 at 6:22:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: Dalex64
I don't think the issue is that shithole is a foul word, rather that Trump used a negative disparaging term to describe certain countries. That word just also happened to be foul word.

If those articles about Clinton are true, then it certainly says something about her. What it says about her is different than what Trump's comment says about him.

So to summarize, it isn't the foul language, it's what it is used for.

I have mixed feelings about that, one is that Trump is an inarticulate fumbler when it comes to his comments, often this makes him his worst enemy. I had really hoped to live out my life without a "tweeting" President.

You are correct that the scandal is the bigotry of his complete statement, which suggested we should bring in more Swedes - easy to assume he meant "white people". On the other hand, it was comments not meant for the public, and other presidents have gotten away with much worse.

On the other hand, there were plenty of media types wringing their hands about the profanity [befor heading to their lawyer's office about how to get out of their crude sexual harassment jams they were in]
January 27th, 2018 at 2:52:10 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: odiousgambit
which suggested we should bring in more Swedes - easy to assume he meant "white people".
Sweden is no longer as 'white people' as it was, but perhaps he meant: athletic, outdoors oriented, individualistic, well educated, etc.
Perhaps we should acknowledge that 'shithole' is a relevant term of contemptuous derision for some countries that largely deserve such an epithet even when hurled in an unseemly manner by someone who should know better.
January 31st, 2018 at 6:49:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Why was there video yesterday of a clown addressing a joint session of Congress?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 1st, 2018 at 11:28:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
There's always something I didn't know.

America has one royal residence.

http://www.iolanipalace.org/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 1st, 2018 at 11:29:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
Why was there video yesterday of a clown addressing a joint session of Congress?

A special showing of "It".
February 2nd, 2018 at 6:06:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Anybody else wash their hands in scalding hot water?

Over time, I have gotten lazy about trying to adjust the faucet to 'just warm' and have found that you can keep it at scalding* if you do two things,

*the stream should be barely going
*the stream should hit your palms *only*; when you reach the other parts of your hands, don't hold your hands under the stream but use the water that hit your palms, it will cool off enough

if you let the scalding hot water even briefly hit the other parts of your hands, sooner or later you will get 'dishpan hands'

yeah, this probably just shows how crazy I am

*I do mean scalding (but not boiling); I've noticed in old folk's houses that sometimes somebody has turned the temp way down, below scalding. That is not the case in our house, quite the opposite.