Random Thought of the Day

February 18th, 2018 at 6:22:57 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
I passed by an unsettling accident scene last night. The emergency vehicles were all around but as I passed one point I could see a car with drivers side door either open, or off, not sure which. I could see a ladies legs and waist perfectly seated in the driver's seat, but the air bag completely filled the area where the rest of her was suppose to be. 3 or 4 people (fire/ambulance/police were nearby but no one was paying any attention to her.) I couldn't figure out if she was dead or what. Creepy scene.

Obv I don't know what happened. But there could be many reasons for this and she'd be alive and relatively ok. If there's no danger of fire or bleeding out, and you're breathing, first responders will leave you in place so as not to make any spinal or neck injuries worse, until they're ready to strap you on a backboard or at least immobilize your head. The seat belt /shoulder harness holds you upright until you can be safely moved.

They could also have triaged the scene and there were others hurt worse, requiring more priority. Perhaps there was no more comfortable place for her to wait right then.

Or they could simply have been waiting for the right kind of transport, if she wasn't the most hurt, with what equipment you saw planned for more urgent cases. Or enough team members to remove her without twisting her around. Hard to say.

Odd that the bag was still that inflated, though. I thought it was supposed to slowly deflate at least somewhat within a minute or so. A person could smother otherwise.

Are you sure it wasn't the side impact bag, which comes out beside the windshield from the bracing post on many cars, and would just hang there like a curtain to her left, about the size of the window, after deployment? It would be a separate bag from the one that comes into your chest from the center of the steering wheel.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 18th, 2018 at 7:40:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs

Are you sure it wasn't the side impact bag,

Seinfeld was taking Ricky Gervais for a
ride in an old car that was made before
seat belts. Gervais was very nervous that
there were no airbags. Jerry says to him:

"Have airbags played a big role in your car
riding experiences up till now? I wouldn't
worry about it."
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 18th, 2018 at 7:45:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Obv I don't know what happened. But there could be many reasons for this and she'd be alive and relatively ok. If there's no danger of fire or bleeding out, and you're breathing, first responders will leave you in place so as not to make any spinal or neck injuries worse, until they're ready to strap you on a backboard or at least immobilize your head. The seat belt /shoulder harness holds you upright until you can be safely moved.

They could also have triaged the scene and there were others hurt worse, requiring more priority. Perhaps there was no more comfortable place for her to wait right then.

Or they could simply have been waiting for the right kind of transport, if she wasn't the most hurt, with what equipment you saw planned for more urgent cases. Or enough team members to remove her without twisting her around. Hard to say.

Odd that the bag was still that inflated, though. I thought it was supposed to slowly deflate at least somewhat within a minute or so. A person could smother otherwise.

Are you sure it wasn't the side impact bag, which comes out beside the windshield from the bracing post on many cars, and would just hang there like a curtain to her left, about the size of the window, after deployment? It would be a separate bag from the one that comes into your chest from the center of the steering wheel.

Of course, what I saw could be more optical illusion of multiple bags maybe. Just from my viewpoint it was odd and disturbing. Surreal.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 18th, 2018 at 9:05:06 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Of course, what I saw could be more optical illusion of multiple bags maybe. Just from my viewpoint it was odd and disturbing. Surreal.

I only answered in so much hypothetical detail because that's the kind of thing that haunts your dreams. Maybe if you have more than one explanation, you can let it go.

We were driving from Sioux City to Omaha once, might have been about 1973. It was a white -out blizzard at ground level, but my dad, who drove 100,000 miles a year in those days (sales route), knew we would be OK if we closely followed a semi truck, because they're enough higher off the ground, they can see better.

So we continued traveling, slowly, on the interstate, tailgating this truck, only thing visible his orange tail lights, and some times not even those, just a vague haze. Couldn't see the road or anything else.

At one point we changed lanes, and slowly passed another truck stopped in the right lane,, close enought to touch. Buried completely under and inside his rear bumper was a crumpled red sedan, no part of it more than 2 feet tall. And then the snow covered the sight of it again.

I don't think anybody said another word until we got there, with 4 teenagers in the car. But I still see it in my dreams sometimes.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
February 18th, 2018 at 9:17:57 PM permalink
rxwine
I only answered in so much hypothetical detail because that's the kind of thing that haunts your dreams. Maybe if you have more than one explanation, you can let it go.

You're telling me!

My sister (and myself) still remember a story our dad told to us in our station wagon when we would drive the 100 miles to my grandmother's house, about not sticking arms and legs out the windows. Supposedly, a girl fell asleep with her feet out the window. A truck passed in the opposite lane. It stripped all the skin and muscle and left only skeleton feet sticking out the window!

Yeah probably not technically true, but the vision of your legs only being skeleton feet was gripping enough for our kid imaginations.

I think there was a part where she wakes up to see the result, and screaming and stuff.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2018 at 10:18:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Long story short, we got to try a Nespresso machine that can make cappuccino drinks.

Past the cutesy name (Lattissima, ha ha), and ignoring the terrible design (the water goes in, I kid you not, a drawer), these were the worst cappuccinos I've tried from an expensive machine.

The machine has a milk reservoir that serves the milk into a cup. On the way, it adds steam to the milk in order to produce froth and heat the milk.

Well, the froth looks great for all of 60 seconds. By then it becomes a thin layer at the top of the cup. Take a sip, and it goes away altogether. it's also not very hot. The last might be a function of Mexico City's altitude, where water boils at 92 C rather than 100 C, but other machines compensate for this by pressurizing the steam.

You could drink them, but adding espresso to a cup of not-too-hot milk would net you the same, without the approx. $550 for the machine, plus the expensive espresso capsules.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 19th, 2018 at 10:32:45 AM permalink
rxwine
It was apparently a design decision to not let it get very hot. The company claimed it burned the milk. You're not alone in that complaint that it's not hot enough.
February 19th, 2018 at 10:36:02 AM permalink
rxwine
BTW, if you ever give a Starbucks gift card as a gift, be sure and buy one of their gift cards to buy the gift card. You get all the points for the purchase price.
February 19th, 2018 at 10:54:58 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, if you ever give a Starbucks gift card as a gift, be sure and buy one of their gift cards to buy the gift card. You get all the points for the purchase price.

Damn! you fell just one short off the "most 'gift's in a sentence" record!

As far as I know, there are no Sbux gift cards down here. And my frequent customer card is no good outside the country.
February 19th, 2018 at 2:22:15 PM permalink
Nareed
I liked Facebook better when I got more cat videos, funny memes, science oddities, and politics intruded only every four years.