Random Thought of the Day

February 26th, 2018 at 12:56:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
Likewise, That Voice includes total calm, complete confidence, even if your knees just gave way in shock (happened to me once; I will tell the story if you want).
We wait with baited breath (or more properly, with bated breath).

I heard a youtube video long ago that featured an approach controller vector an arriving plane onto a heading that was the reciprocal of the currently active takeoff runway. The inbound pilots had some cockpit discussions but followed the instructions which was followed by some comments from the controller about teamwork and pilots speaking up. I'm sure it was a dangerous situation but I was struck by how the voices all remained calm.
February 26th, 2018 at 8:44:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Gambling advice I heard as a teenager, younger even, that I never hear anymore:

"never take the small end of the odds" ... this one doesn't even come up in google

"don't try to beat a man at his own game" versions of this come up, not necessarily about gambling

"don't count your money at the table" ... well, sometimes I hear this, but the Kenny Rogers song seems to make everybody groan at this and any other saying that is in that song
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 26th, 2018 at 10:54:11 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Short end of the stick.
February 26th, 2018 at 11:14:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
Short end of the stick.

Break a stick or twig up and draw who is going to get the baseball out of beast dog's yard?

Or drawing straws.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 27th, 2018 at 4:26:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
February went by awfully fast.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 28th, 2018 at 7:50:54 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Golf courses are open in Buffalo on February 28. Please bring me more global warming. Thank you.
February 28th, 2018 at 8:33:19 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
Golf courses are open in Buffalo on February 28. Please bring me more global warming. Thank you.

Better get out today. Back to reality for the next 2 weeks.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 28th, 2018 at 10:58:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

Here too, it's 60 and Harley's have
been roaring by. I was doing yard
work yesterday.

Funny you should mention GW,
I was reading a long and well
researched article on how GW is
the biggest fakenews hoax of
all time. Rush Limbaugh has been
saying that for 25 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2018 at 4:50:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I never realized they did oceanic flights. I can't imagine floating across the Atlantic. I think it would be neat, but boy, talk about checking and worrying about weather events.

Quote:
Before the modern jumbo jet and its first class suites, the biggest and grandest thing in luxury air travel was the German Zeppelin Airship.
Of all the massive Zeppelin's constructed, the most famous was the Hindenburg. The Hindenburg was designed to ferry passengers across the Atlantic in serenity, with the dirigible floating smoothly through the clouds.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/these-amazing-color-photos-of-the-hindenburg-zeppelin-show-what-luxury-flying-was-like-80-years-ago/ss-BBJKXB8?ocid=spartanntp

They had a smoking room in the Hindenburg to enjoy your tobacco. They also had 7 tons of hydrogen nearby.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 1st, 2018 at 5:06:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I never realized they did oceanic flights. I can't imagine floating across the Atlantic. I think it would be neat, but boy, talk about checking and worrying about weather events.

That's how come the pride of Nazi Germany came to grief in New Jersey.

Quote:
They had a smoking room in the Hindenburg to enjoy your tobacco. They also had 7 tons of hydrogen nearby.

Not that nearby.

Besides, the paint or coating was essentially thermite. And you had gas engines very much near that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER