Random Thought of the Day

March 9th, 2018 at 6:31:25 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: beachbumbabs
Me, too.

How is that up to the fed?

Why can't a state decide which time they will use? AZ and HI do. Parts of IN does.

It never occurred to me they would have to ask.

I agree
Its stupid that the feds have to approve
Here is the diff between AZ/HI and FL
AZ/HI don't observe daylight savings time. Standard time all year. A state is allowed to opt out of DST
On the other hand
FL does not want standard time all year, FL wants DST all year. That requires congressional approval
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 9th, 2018 at 11:00:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Switzerland is unique in having enough nuclear fallout shelters to accommodate its entire population, should they ever be needed.
"Why on earth have you got a reinforced steel door in your cellar?" The amazement of a visiting Italian friend is easy to understand. He has never been in the basement of a Swiss home.

Cellar? Well, the room is half full of bottles of wine, old books, a freezer, unwanted clothes... but a cellar it certainly is not. Our friend has simply stumbled upon our fallout shelter. Thanks to the thick armoured door and the ventilation system, with anti-gas filter, if the worst came to the worst, the 25 or so tenants of our block could survive even a nuclear strike.

These Swiss! Paranoid and obsessed with security, our friend must have thought. And there is probably some truth in that assessment.

The Swiss do in fact spend more than almost any other nation (more than 20 per cent of their budget) to insure themselves against everything and everyone. But there is a more simple reason: it is a legal requirement.

"Every inhabitant must have a protected place that can be reached quickly from his place of residence" and "apartment block owners are required to construct and fit out shelters in all new dwellings", according to articles 45 and 46 of the Swiss Federal Law on Civil Protection.

This is why most buildings constructed since the 1960s (the first regulations on the subject were passed on 4 October 1963) incorporate a fallout shelter.

In 2006, there were 300,000 shelters in Swiss dwellings, institutions and hospitals, as well as 5,100 public shelters, providing protection for a total of 8.6 million individuals – a coverage of 114 per cent.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/prepared-for-anything_bunkers-for-all/995134
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 10th, 2018 at 12:47:07 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Time was originally imposed by the railroads not the government.
Now its the government and they can't even say Universal Coordinated Time it has to be Universal Time, Coordinated which is government nonsense at its height.

I've never really thought it made much difference. Wisconsin agricultural interests used to be highly vocal about the time change even though I never thought their cows much cared about it. Contented cows, cheese and school children all pretty much rate the same in our society: utter non issues. So I don't see the sense of worrying about time declarations. China's one time zone seems nonsensical. The Vietcong's Tet Offensive got off to a staggered start because some units were on North Vietnamese time which seemed stupid to me.

I often adjust the clock in the wrong direction anyway.
March 10th, 2018 at 3:22:55 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Is there something wrong with me or would it not be counter productive to make DST year round? The 'old' six in the morning would just become the 'new' 7 in the morning and people would forget whatever used to be, no? I guess you could try to tell businesses etc they have to maintain a different schedule.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 10th, 2018 at 7:53:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
They need to do more to fix rush hour traffic. Too many businesses close at the same time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 10th, 2018 at 8:16:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
They need to do more to fix rush hour traffic. Too many businesses close at the same time.
Back in the days when malls not only existed but had clout, hours would be enforced for minor tenants and the major anchor tenants would often have these Early Bird Specials wherein teensy cups of tea, coffee, apple juice, orange juice as well as some donut holes would be served at some unbelievable hour such as 7:00am or something like that. It stretched the traffic hours but I still liked one city's advertisement "our traffic newscaster knocks off at 5:30pm".

Its often the leisure businesses that now have extended business hours: coffee houses, mail boxes, etc., dry cleaners, wine stores. These places moderate the great traffic jam mess.
March 10th, 2018 at 8:17:13 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: odiousgambit
Is there something wrong with me or would it not be counter productive to make DST year round? The 'old' six in the morning would just become the 'new' 7 in the morning and people would forget whatever used to be, no? I guess you could try to tell businesses etc they have to maintain a different schedule.

Well, for me the point is to have daylight when people are awake.

June 21 or so is a long day in michigan - 15 hours of sunlight.

If "noon" was middle of the light, when the sun was at its highest point, the sun would rise at 4:30am and set at 7:30pm.

If you look here

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/detroit?month=6

you will see that with DST, and Michigan's position in the time zone, local "noon" (the time when the sun as at its highest) is about 1:30pm.

That makes sunrise at about 6am, and sunset at about 9pm.

When you have exactly 12 hours of daylight, if you set local noon to 2pm, dawn would be at 8am and sunset at 8pm. with local noon at solar noon, sunrise would be 6am and sunset at 6pm.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 10th, 2018 at 8:32:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Dalex64
Well, for me the point is to have daylight when people are awake.
WHY?
The northern latitudes get along just fine with extremes of night and day and don't worry about their clocks having to match the sun.

A few years ago I posted something about that town in Northernmost somewhere with its official Sunset published and its next official Sunrise being six days later. I mean so what?

Maybe instead of just retirement watches we should have great big retirement clocks for the home as well. You know, you look at the time piece and there is absolutely no way to discern the time from it. It just depicts a golfer, so the message is clear: its time to go play golf. Or a man on a surf board or the outline of a martini glass or a fish on a hook. You get the idea.

You only have to know ONE time. When the deadline for dropping your wife and your credit card off at the day spa is. As long as you meet that deadline, you go can go off and fish, golf, or drink in peace. What more do you need?

Or you can move to New Mexico where there is only 'morning', 'afternoon', 'nighttime' and 'manana' which means not today, perhaps never. Nothing gets more granular than that.
March 10th, 2018 at 8:46:52 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I'm not sure what you think I said, but I am not saying change time all the time. I'm saying set it to one spot and leave it all year.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 10th, 2018 at 10:51:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
I'm not sure what you think I said, but I am not saying change time all the time. I'm saying set it to one spot and leave it all year.

85% of Americans want to get
rid of DST altogether, they think
it's a pain in the ass. They like
more sun in the morning and
less in the evening. So Face's
dream of DST year round doesn't
look likely.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.