Quote: odiousgambit
I can tell you I never step into the woods

I never let the picnic tables and
kids swings out of my sight,
that's how far into the woods
I go. Got lost for about 10 min
when I was a kid, scared me
bad..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 29th, 2019 at 1:46:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I can tell you I never step into the woods without two compasses, in case one gets lost or doesn't seem to work right

I also always try to note the ultimate exit direction, in other words to get back to my vehicle I might know I want to go northwest, but if I really get disoriented the "can't fail " direction to get me back to the road generally may be east or something

I have to admit I sometimes get lazy about the latter, since I usually now have a handheld GPS with backup batteries. But never am I out without compasses. You do have to know how to use them too. Basically, you can't be this 'situationally unaware' as this person and have any business in the outdoors

I would send my drone up and take a look around.

They've proven people will walk in a circle if left to no clues at all. Even though they think they are walking in a straight line.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 29th, 2019 at 2:24:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
people will walk in a circle if left to no clues at all. Even though they think they are walking in a straight line.
An espionage suspect who escaped confinement knew that and tried to compensate for it but wound up where he started anyway.
May 30th, 2019 at 4:49:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If you can just walk in one direction, chances are eventually you will get to a trail or road, it has to be real wilderness sure enough for that not to be true. You could find an impassable area instead, in that case I would try 180 degrees different. But preparation means you would know which direction to go.

I have to think overcast days are rare on Maui, the only thing that would keep you from using the sun for direction.

Failing all these things, just staying put would have meant this lady would have been found right away.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 2nd, 2019 at 1:25:54 PM permalink
rxwine
It's not exactly straight forward trying to evaluate products by looking at internet links. Lots of sites try to look like personal sites with one person writing about stuff they tried, but are likely either sponsored or owned outright by a company.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 3rd, 2019 at 10:25:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Apparently, the stronger the “chlorine” smell of pool water, the dirtier it is as it is a reaction to filth.
June 10th, 2019 at 4:25:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
If I am stuck watching commercials on tv, because I didn't record it first, I'll mute the sound. The ad people seem to know this is common, so these days they use a lot of text too in what they run. Or I might have closed caption on too.

More than once I've seen a commercial say in the text something about "crap" - only to realize it was actually "cpap" that was written.

I don't think the public was expected to know what cpap meant before just a few years ago.
June 10th, 2019 at 6:50:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I don't think the public was expected to know what cpap meant before just a few years ago.

Sleep Apnea has become the darling of high profit medical practices and Durable Medical Equipment suppliers.
TSA screeners used not to know what a cpap machine was, now they are experts at it.

By the way, sleep apnea is a disease of the kidney.
June 11th, 2019 at 3:33:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
I was just admiring some pretty old trees in my yard - but realized that it's possible none of them are older than me
June 19th, 2019 at 11:07:11 AM permalink
odiousgambit