Random Thought of the Day

August 22nd, 2019 at 2:36:26 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I just watched a show where they were doing a heart transplant. The surgery took four hours. Why did my simple back operation take five hours?

If they used a robot it always slows things down. I'm guessing you surgery was anything but simple. A simple back operation, removing a single disk, can take less than an hour. When they have to put multiple screws and nuts and bolts and cages and plates and rods in, it takes many hours. Plus back surgery requires two position changes, after you are asleep you are placed face down, and when they are done moved back to face up. That adds time.
August 22nd, 2019 at 2:58:20 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Plus back surgery requires two position changes, after you are asleep you are placed face down, and when they are done moved back to face up. That adds time.

Yes, I kept hearing about this Jackson table yet I have no memories and either never saw it or they just erased my memory banks.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 30th, 2019 at 12:30:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Who thinks our medical system needs to be reformed?

I had a back surgery yesterday and spent one night in the hospital, a total of 30 hours. I am home now with an estimated hospital bill of $262,814. I don;t even know if that includes the individual doctor fees.

Hopefully my insurance will cover most of that.

Was just reading an article

Quote:
Hospital estimates are often inaccurate and there is no legal obligation that they be correct, or even be issued in good faith. It’s not so in other industries. When you take out a mortgage, for instance, the lender’s estimate of origination charges has to be accurate by law; even closing fees — incurred many months later — cannot exceed the initial estimate by more than 10%. In construction or home remodeling, while estimates are not legal contracts, failure to live up to them can be a basis for liability or “a claim for negligent misrepresentation.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 30th, 2019 at 8:01:13 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: petroglyph
Hey, if it's the DMV, how come we can't have a drive up window?

Daytona Beach has a drive-thru DMV. Nice and fast renewals.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 31st, 2019 at 6:07:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: beachbumbabs
Daytona Beach has a drive-thru DMV. Nice and fast renewals.
In Havasu, the DMV removed any seats/chairs from the waiting area. I don't understand their thinking on that one? Sometimes it is well north of a half hour wait to get access to an employee.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 31st, 2019 at 7:22:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Sometimes it is well north of a half hour wait to get access to an employee.

A half hour???? I called ahead
to get a place in line and when
I got there 2 hours later, I still
had to wait 1hr 45min. If I had
not called it would have been
almost 4 hours sitting there.u
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 31st, 2019 at 7:54:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
A half hour???? I called ahead
to get a place in line and when
I got there 2 hours later, I still
had to wait 1hr 45min. If I had
not called it would have been
almost 4 hours sitting there.u
Yeah, I didn't want to throw wait times like that out there. I can't believe they took out all the customers chairs. It's hateful.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 1st, 2019 at 3:27:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
do you wonder if you're 'set', well-to-do, or downright wealthy?

you can measure it by whether or not you have to go to the DMV. If you're just doing OK, pretty well, or however you want to say it to mean doing well but something short of 'rich' or 'wealthy' you go to the DMV once in a while, because you care what you pay for a vehicle, and you don't like the 'trade in' ripoff. And of course if you are of ordinary means you find yourself at the DMV once in a while.

If you are truly wealthy, you never go to the DMV. The wealthy always go to a dealer to get vehicles - they don't care if they are overpaying. The dealer does everything, the title, the plates, the whole thing, you never see the insides of a DMV. It's a good test, whether you're going to a DMV ever, OK, not totally reliable, and of course there are exceptions like a rich guy who still likes to buy vehicles privately. And the guy who isn't rich but still always buys from a dealer.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 1st, 2019 at 5:38:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Steve Jobs would get a new car every 6 months, and never put a license plate on any of them. The kicker was that California law allowed one to drive a new car for 6 months without one.

So I suppose that is the ultimate type of luxury hassle avoidance. Buy a whole new car instead of dealing with the DMV requirements.

That law, btw, was rewritten eventually.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 1st, 2019 at 10:57:24 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I guess that means you could leave the dealer plates on for 6 months.

Dealers do all that stuff anyway in other states, most states I'm thinking, so there must have been something about California that was different?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]