Random Thought of the Day

February 25th, 2020 at 1:24:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: SOOPOO
Before Trump didn’t all Presidents remove themselves from their businesses and have a third party run all of their investments? Of course he has inside knowledge that will move markets, let alone specific sectors or even specific stocks. I highly doubt he is trading stocks, for if he was Adam Shiff would have told us.

I don't think any President could use any family member or relative as a conduit. And any gains would have to be carefully laundered back to them, probably after they left office.

Probably not even worth the risk.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 2nd, 2020 at 4:41:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If a disgruntled person is an unhappy person, is a gruntled one contended ? Yes, it turns out, though the very rare use today of gruntled is a backformation from disgruntled, the root of the various words comes from grunt and the idea that a contented person utters little grunts

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=gruntle+definition
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=gruntle+definition#dobs=disgruntled

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 4th, 2020 at 11:47:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
..whoever leads a meeting at Amazon has to write a document, usually about six pages long, to pass out at the start of it. Then everybody spends about 20 to 30 minutes silently reading and digesting what’s on that document, before going over the entire thing together, page by page.

Also: There’s no PowerPoint. Ever.

It’s weird! But company reps say it works.

“The quality of the meeting is much better,” says Jacqueline Underberg, Amazon’s Director of Robotics. “I’m an engineer by training, I’m not a professional writer. It forces you to be very succinct and clear about what you’re supporting.”
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 13th, 2020 at 12:41:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Salamander species living in caves.

Quote:

They are extraordinarily long-living creatures, with lifespans that can last more than a century. Their reproductive cycles take around 12.5 years to complete. They are also incredibly slow moving.
In a study published in the Journal of Zoology, researchers have now shown just how slow.

Divers tagged adult olms using a method that meant there was no need for them to be moved from their setting. The team tracked the movements of 19 individual olms over the course of the study. Individuals were tagged in stages, so some were monitored for 28 months, while others were tracked for eight years.
The most active individual of the bunch studied traveled 125 feet in 230 days. Most moved around 16 feet per year.

One particular individual showed extreme levels of stillness, not moving an inch during a seven-year timespan.
March 17th, 2020 at 10:15:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
top pick of substitute toilet paper by survivalists, a plant called mullein:

top rookie mistake:

March 17th, 2020 at 11:38:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Poison Ivy Butt Wipes.
March 23rd, 2020 at 11:31:02 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
As the world is changing
Thinking what a fortunate generation we baby boomers are
One of the most fortunate generations ever
The generations before us had to deal with WWII, before that, the depression, before that WWI and the 1918 flu
Baby boomers were born in the 1050's of expanding national wealth
We grew up with music and movies of the 60's and 70's that I sure will be appreciated as much as Mozart in the future
We saw the computer age and the internet and overall had a great economy during our lifetime with lots of disposable income.
Future generations will look back on my generation with envy
Economically we are entering dark times and I really feel for the younger generations that will struggle through this
We baby boomers generally have the assets to get us through this.
Its going to be tough for younger generations going forward.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 23rd, 2020 at 5:56:13 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
As the world is changing
Thinking what a fortunate generation we baby boomers are
One of the most fortunate generations ever
The generations before us had to deal with WWII, before that, the depression, before that WWI and the 1918 flu
Baby boomers were born in the 1050's of expanding national wealth
We grew up with music and movies of the 60's and 70's that I sure will be appreciated as much as Mozart in the future
We saw the computer age and the internet and overall had a great economy during our lifetime with lots of disposable income.
Future generations will look back on my generation with envy
Economically we are entering dark times and I really feel for the younger generations that will struggle through this
We baby boomers generally have the assets to get us through this.
Its going to be tough for younger generations going forward.

I agree. I feel so fortunate for all that society has helped me achieve. And allow me to enjoy. We will overcome this. And we will help the younger generation return to greatness.
March 27th, 2020 at 8:06:12 PM permalink
rxwine
I think we had a discussion before about how long overweight people live. (not as long). But I was looking up the actor who played General Burkhalter on Hogan's Heroes, and he lived to be 97. I saw a picture where he was thin earlier in life, but as far as I can tell he was overweight in later years.

March 28th, 2020 at 11:56:42 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Hogan's Heroes had ridiculous plots that made it almost unwatchable, but the characters were good* and have proved to have lived on, so to speak

I saw a 50s episode of "alfred hitchcock presents" that had both the actor that played Col Klink and the actor that played Sgt. Schultz on it, together.

*I almost used 'great' but changed it ... too much praise is not fitting for any part of that show