Random Thought of the Day

February 26th, 2021 at 6:37:49 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
My wife just wrote a letter to her cousin. She sat down with a pen and a pad of paper and just wrote out 2 or 3 pages. Then she put them in an envelope, put a stamp on it and mailed it. Honest to God. I haven't seen anything like it since I was a kid.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 26th, 2021 at 7:03:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: JimRockford
My wife just wrote a letter to her cousin. She sat down with a pen and a pad of paper and just wrote out 2 or 3 pages. Then she put them in an envelope, put a stamp on it and mailed it. Honest to God. I haven't seen anything like it since I was a kid.
lol. I need to write to a niece and nephew about something and want to do it that way, for old time's sake, instead of email. Alas that has meant I've just kept putting it off in spite of many vows to get it done
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 2nd, 2021 at 4:57:05 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think one of the hardest things to explain to a very young person, and expect an understanding response, today would be how big Saturday morning cartoons were ... or maybe Saturday matinee time at the movies ... or the funny pages on Sunday ... to us kids back in the day
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 2nd, 2021 at 8:25:30 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
I think one of the hardest things to explain to a very young person, and expect an understanding response, today would be how big Saturday morning cartoons were ... or maybe Saturday matinee time at the movies ... or the funny pages on Sunday ... to us kids back in the day

A good example of inflation is that when I was in elementary school my allowance was 25 cents a week. That was enough money to go to the Saturday matinee and buy a treat. We didn't have a TV until 8 or 9 then it became 4 hours of cartoons every Saturday morning. Saw them all dozens of times.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 3rd, 2021 at 7:29:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I would put in that same category going to the library to look up some fact. They would just never understand the concept.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 3rd, 2021 at 10:24:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I was a huge Archie comic book fan
All my friends were huge Archie fans
We sat around reading the comics over and over
I clearly remember being super excited when it became a cartoon sat am
Blew my mind when they had a hit song go straight to number 1

Best cartoons ever
Bullwinkle and Rocky show (who does not love Mr Peabody and his pet boy Sherman)
Johnny Quest
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2021 at 10:49:46 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Best cartoons ever
Bullwinkle and Rocky show (who does not love Mr Peabody and his pet boy Sherman)
Johnny Quest

I don't believe that I ever read a comic book. The only cartoon I remember watching as a kid was Scooby Doo. Most of my Saturday morning was reading stats in the weekly edition of the Sporting News. In baseball season that was about 80 games a week to compile.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
March 3rd, 2021 at 11:41:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined

Best cartoons ever
Johnny Quest

Ooooh. I never liked the Archie cartoons. Mainly I think it was because it was one of the initial cartoons to produce cheaply made animation where the frame rate was cut, and even worse looping scenes. Like when they would play a song and and keep showing the same stock scene.

I never read the comic books though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2021 at 11:48:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

I never read the comic books though.

You never lusted after Betty
and Veronica? Too bad..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 3rd, 2021 at 12:01:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Evenbob
You never lusted after Betty
and Veronica? Too bad..

None of the comics I followed had any lustworthy female characters. Lois Lane? No. Nothing in Spiderman or Batman either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?