April 14th, 2021 at 7:47:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: terapined

All those travelers heading west
Leading cause of death cholera
2nd leading cause. drowning. They stuck close to rivers
3rd leading cause of death, accidental gun discharge

I believe this. All their water would have had to come from above-ground sources and a lot of it was bound to be polluted. They crossed a lot of rivers If Your Wagon gets stuck you have to jump in the water with boots on and heavy wool and cotton clothes you're going to be instantly bogged down please and you probably don't know how to swim anyway. And everybody carried a gun. But they didn't carry a Colt Peacemaker strapped to their hip. Those were way too expensive. After the end of the Civil War lots of companies manufactured really cheap firearms, small pocket guns. This is what most cowboys carried and most people heading west, cheaply made 22 caliber and 38 caliber and 45 caliber pocket guns. Very unreliable with no safety features, you had a good chance of shooting yourself in the leg or foot and dying from the infection.

This is a good example of a typical pocket gun from the era. They fit into your front pocket or the pocket of your coat and it looks small, but the people were small. The height over the average man in the old west was five foot six. I've seen lots of vintage clothing from around 1900 and it looks like it was made for children. If you were six feet tall you were a giant.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 15th, 2021 at 6:01:18 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
They fit into your front pocket or the pocket of your coat and it looks small, but the people were small. The height over the average man in the old west was five foot six.

Not the Native Americans. Nineteenth century Plains Indians were the tallest people in the world.

A Park Ranger at the Little Big Horn National Monument, told us the average cavalry soldier was 5'7" and weighed 156lbs, and the Souix warriors averaged 6'2" and 190lbs.
April 16th, 2021 at 11:01:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My neighbor knocked on my door at 2:30 AM. Can you believe that?!!

Luckily, I was still up playing my bagpipes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 16th, 2021 at 7:47:40 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
My neighbor knocked on my door at 2:30 AM. Can you believe that?!!

Luckily, I was still up playing my bagpipes.

Great post. Ex wife and I were driving all over Scotland a few decades back when we stayed in a small town on the Kyle of Tongue. We were awakened early in the morning hearing what were some form of bagpipes. It was a high school student doing his practice before school. Not as bad as a screeching violinist.... but....
April 16th, 2021 at 8:47:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tanko
1800s-native-americans-were-tallest-in-the-world]Plains Indians were the tallest people in the world.

Because they ate so much red meat protein. Same thing happened to the Japanese after World War II. They started eating more red meat protein and they are way taller now than they were 75 years ago.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 16th, 2021 at 8:53:37 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I read once that the crew on the Lewis and Clark expedition carrying the supplies were eating up to 14 pounds of meat per day. Don't know if it's true, but they had to burn a lot of calories.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 18th, 2021 at 5:52:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 19th, 2021 at 9:16:29 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I just found out about this
The Viet Nam war
Its often depicted as US troops against N Viet Nam
yet
South Korean troops in Viet Nam out numbered the US troops
In fact
North Viet Nam troops feared the South Koreans more then the US
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 19th, 2021 at 9:44:04 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: terapined
South Korean troops in Viet Nam out numbered the US troops

False
Let's go Brandon
April 19th, 2021 at 9:49:07 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: fleaswatter
False

Late stages of the war
More N Korean soldiers then US soldiers in Viet Nam
Did not really research this
Just watching this interesting video and I assume its factual
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"