Random Thought of the Day

August 9th, 2021 at 9:01:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You can probably guess why I think the flooding has the potential to get worse here. When you get high tide, the hurricanes blowing the right direction, and previously lots of rain even normally dry areas become more vulnerable.

But like I said, their house never flooded, but it was more luck than good advanced planning.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2021 at 11:25:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
If I was moving to Florida, like Drich or SOOPOO,

My bro in law moved to FL 3 years
ago cause his wife wanted to. Last
week he was mowing on his tractor
and fell off in a faint. Heat stroke.
He didn't go to hospital as his wife
urged and he died at age 70 4 hours
later. My wifes fam is horror struck
with grief. This guy worked 45 years
for one company making 6 figures,
bought an estate in FL and died 3
years later. Never liked the guy but
that's beside the point.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2021 at 1:13:58 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If I was moving to Florida, like Drich or SOOPOO, I'd check carefully the potential for flooding in the area you're moving into. Whether it's flooded before.

And actually when my parents first moved to Florida, they lived almost a quarter mile from the canal, and although it never flooded into the house, one year it flooded all the way to the yard. I still remember taking their small dog for a walk and he was swimming part of his normal route. it was up to my knees before we got halfway to the canal which he was used to walking around.

I am not one that usually sweats the details. I will definitely have flood and hurricane insurance, but if it happens it happens. I am not going to sweat a little wind and rain. If the house floods it would be an inconvenience, but that will open up opportunities. Maybe I will get to buy another house, car, and boat.

Assuming that it doesn't kill the wife or the animals, there is absolutely nothing in my house that I am attached to. It is all just stuff, and stuff can be replaced.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 9th, 2021 at 1:48:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Here's a primer on flood insurance: https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/homeowners-insurance/cost-of-flood-insurance/

I suggest that anyone thinking of moving to Florida or anywhere else where flooding is a possibility get a quote first before buying.
August 9th, 2021 at 2:11:49 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: missedhervee
Here's a primer on flood insurance: https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/homeowners-insurance/cost-of-flood-insurance/

I suggest that anyone thinking of moving to Florida or anywhere else where flooding is a possibility get a quote first before buying.

I've not dealt with an insurance company in something as big as a housing loss, but most of my experiences with insurance payments have left me feeling more like I'm losing twice in expected value.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 9th, 2021 at 2:18:52 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The problem is that you need to buy a second policy, limited to flood insurance, and depending where you plan to live and what you plan to own the cost can be shockingly higher than you paid previously, i.e. sticker shock.
August 9th, 2021 at 6:36:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I've not dealt with an insurance company in something as big as a housing loss, but most of my experiences with insurance payments have left me feeling more like I'm losing twice in expected value.

My wife has a nephew who is an insurance adjuster for Farmers. He says his job is to travel to your house and give you the absolute least amount of money possible. He will lie to you, give you false 'facts', anything to get you to accept far less money than you are expecting. It's a job that has a lot of turnover because people constantly argue with you and call you names. But he likes it because he's a jerk, and Farmers loves him because he's good at what he does. He says the best way to deal with an insurance adjuster it's just stick to your guns and wear him down. Never get angry, just constantly refuse to take his ridiculous offer no matter what he says. Because he will lie about having to pay you just to get you to accept. Eventually he will give you close to what you want just to close the case.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2021 at 7:12:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Yeah, I'll take never having to make insurance claims in the first place. I don't consider it anything but essential to keep from taking a total loss, but I'm not happy about it.
August 9th, 2021 at 7:46:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee

My homeowners insurance in Florida will be roughly $500 a month. I think I pay roughly $250 a month in Las Vegas.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 11th, 2021 at 8:00:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Nice to see St. Judes and Shriner's children both have high charity ratings. However ASPCA got dinged recently in a special report. They're the one's showing all the abused animals. They did say local spca's are not affiliated with the larger organization so if you give directly to them, chances are it will be better used.