Random Thought of the Day

September 10th, 2021 at 12:47:44 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
ow many people who got killed dared the person holding the gun to go ahead and shoot them.

You see that on TV and in the movies all the time where a person will say you don't have the guts to shoot me, you don't have the guts to pull the trigger. Go ahead and shoot me. And it usually works, the person with the gun doesn't shoot. In the times when they do shoot we're very surprised. Maybe the people who dare somebody else to shoot them have seen too many movies.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 11th, 2021 at 9:52:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I just learned some totally useless information from an old movie.

If you record an old dial phone when someone is dialing, you can slow down the recording of clicks to know what number they are calling.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 11th, 2021 at 1:06:05 PM permalink
rxwine
Now watching two teens trying to win the US Open Women's Championship tennis. One from Canada and the other from England.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 12th, 2021 at 7:36:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I haven't watched much of the 9-11 coverage, but of course it's somewhat unavoidable. I was watching a short report and it occurred to me that once again I haven't seen the planes fly into the buildings or the buildings collapse, just the burning buildings. Or did I on some of the other that was shown and I forgot? Now I wish I had recorded some of that to see. Is it possible the worst parts are being avoided? Probably not... just a thought.

I have heard that the public didn't see the full Dec. 7th Pearl Harbor footage at all until the war was nearly over. I can't verify that but this video shows news footage of it, and it is nearly entirely just aftermath footage. There is about a minute of burning battleships etc, but no bombs or torpedoes actually hitting. It is also undated, so may have not been shown until months later for all I know, even with the explosions left out.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 25th, 2021 at 7:48:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Skeletonization = when someone gets too thin.

actually is the state of a dead organism after undergoing decomposition

October 9th, 2021 at 6:58:58 AM permalink
rxwine
When I signed in to pay my cable bill, it wanted me to set up 2 step authentication. I'm not too worried about someone compromising my cable bill. Seems more like they're trying to acquire another point of contact they will probably sell.
October 10th, 2021 at 1:00:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Hilarious.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2021 at 11:19:35 AM permalink
rxwine
You ever see a business that wants the lawn care people to leave the leaves in place? Few, if any.

Quote:
Fallen leaves can serve as a natural fertilizer for plants, David Mizejewski, a naturalist at the National Wildlife Federation, explained to USA TODAY.  
“The leaves fall around the root zone of these plants, where they do things like suppress weeds or other plants from growing that that would otherwise compete with the trees and the shrubs,” he said.  
“They slowly break down and compost right there at the base of the of the tree of the shrub, right above its root zone, where they return nutrients that the plant can then recycle and reuse next spring,” he said.
October 15th, 2021 at 1:15:39 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The problem with using fallen leaves as mulch is that they can blow away: need to grind them up a bit first, then use them.
October 17th, 2021 at 6:13:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I independently arrived at the same conclusion

I do rake away the leaves that pile up in inconvenient places. You don't want them blowing into the garage or covering walkways, they're very slippery when wet, almost as bad as ice
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]