Random Thought of the Day

February 22nd, 2015 at 8:07:09 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Dalex64
Pain receptors help keep you alive. Pleasure receptors help you reproduce. You only need that in one place. I suppose it helps if you enjoy eating, too.
Good points as well. That is sort of what I was told as a young lad. I was told that the body sensing pain was a signal to let the brain know something was wrong, so it is wired to our survival instinct.

It is amazing what the body can endure if it has to. I am surprised by the amount of physical assault [without shock] we can survive and how little bacteria/virus it takes to do us in.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 25th, 2015 at 1:40:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'd trade in all casual Fridays and half my vacation days for one "beat the crap out of your boss day" in a human lifetime.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 28th, 2015 at 12:01:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 2nd, 2015 at 1:46:20 PM permalink
Nareed
How long is ancient history?

There is a larger span of time between the building of the first pyramids in Egypt (*) to the birth of Julius Caesar, than from Caesar's days to the present. Think of that when someone tells you history is an unbroken line of incremental progress.

(*) Depending on how you reckon it, the first would be either the Step pyramid at Sakkara or the Red Pyramid of Sneferu.
March 3rd, 2015 at 3:07:16 PM permalink
rxwine
CAUSE

EFFECT

Buffalo probably has no insurance.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 9th, 2015 at 2:03:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
So much money is being spent on the campaigns that I doubt if either man, as good as they are, are worth what it will cost to elect them.
-Will Rogers

Don't know what year Rogers said that, but he died in 1935
March 9th, 2015 at 8:00:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You don't spend campaign money to elect someone, you just spend it to keep the opponent from being elected.
March 9th, 2015 at 1:55:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Three men go fishing. As always, they toss all their catches into the well to be split up at the end of the day. The end of the day comes and they all go to bed.

The first man wakes up in the night with stomach cramps and needs to go home. He counts the fish to split the pile into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The second man gets up early and remembers he has an early appt. Not knowing a man has already left, he counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

The last man gets up and doesn't realize the other two are gone. He counts the fish to split them into 3rds and realizes there is one too many to do so. He tosses one away and takes his third.

What is the least amount of fish caught to enable this to happen?

What is this kind of math called?

Rate the difficulty 1-5.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 9th, 2015 at 3:06:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face

What sort of fishermen trusts other fisherman, what sort of fisherman throws away fish rather than eating it, what sort of sound sleepers are there that two men can get up and the third doesn't even notice the lack of sleeping bags or the empty bunks?

Combine those!!
March 9th, 2015 at 3:36:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face

Fish-cannot-leave-a-note-math ;)

I'll take a wild guess: 42 (knowing it's wrong because 42 is evenly divisible by 3).