Random Thought of the Day

November 9th, 2021 at 1:12:22 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I am 61. I still go to the Y to play basketball. Before the games start I go to shoot. There were a bunch of guys there who were warming up. I hit TEN (easy to count that high!) consecutive shots from around THIRTY feet. One young kid who could dunk after putting the ball between his legs said this to me…. ‘What the f… old man’. I consider that a compliment. Also hit 13 consecutive ‘around the horn’ type shots, all behind college 3 point line distance. Not 18 yo’s in a row but if it wasn’t me I don’t think I’d believe me.
November 9th, 2021 at 1:25:32 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
I am 61. I still go to the Y to play basketball. Before the games start I go to shoot. There were a bunch of guys there who were warming up. I hit TEN (easy to count that high!) consecutive shots from around THIRTY feet. One young kid who could dunk after putting the ball between his legs said this to me…. ‘What the f… old man’. I consider that a compliment. Also hit 13 consecutive ‘around the horn’ type shots, all behind college 3 point line distance. Not 18 yo’s in a row but if it wasn’t me I don’t think I’d believe me.

I once went a whole shoot around before the game without making a single basket. I probably took 25 shots and even missed a layup.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 9th, 2021 at 2:30:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: SOOPOO
Wife’s daughter taking ‘nutrition’ class in college. She said her professor weighs around 400 pounds. He may be the most knowledgeable guy out there, but, come on….

That danged insulin resistance.
November 9th, 2021 at 5:18:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
I once went a whole shoot around before the game without making a single basket. I probably took 25 shots and even missed a layup.

Were you laying on the couch or actually standing up. That makes a difference you know
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2021 at 6:02:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Were you laying on the couch or actually standing up. That makes a difference you know
13]
Surprisingly, as a young one I played football, baseball, basketball, and wrestled.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 9th, 2021 at 6:13:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
13]
Surprisingly, as a young one I played football, baseball, basketball, and wrestled.

I never did any of that sports always bored the crap out of me. Went to a couple high school football games and fell asleep. Hurry up and wait hurry up and wait. That's football.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 9th, 2021 at 6:25:27 PM permalink
missedhervee
I never did any of that sports always bored the crap out of me. Went to a couple high school football games and fell asleep. Hurry up and wait hurry up and wait. That's football.

How did you spend your teenage years then, EB?

I doubt you hit the books diligently; my guess is that you huffed glue and spent a lot of time alone.
November 9th, 2021 at 9:14:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee
How did you spend your teenage years then, EB?

By reading. I read books constantly. At home, in every class, I read. I had at least three book of the month club subscriptions that my parents gave me as birthday gifts. The literature books that are full of short stories that they give you in 9th through 12th grade. I read all of those in 9th grade. Wonderful stuff. I almost lived in the school library. I don't understand why you think everybody in high school played sports when the opposite is true. 120 guys in my graduating class and maybe 20 of them we're on one of the teams. Maybe 25. None of the friends I had in high school played sports or were even interested in it. We liked cars and girls and drinking beer.

Quote:
I doubt you hit the books diligently; my guess is that you huffed glue and spent a lot of time alone.

My guess is in high school you enjoyed picking on kids smaller than you and getting a kick out of it. It shows in your constant snide remarks to me and others. I knew guys like you, they never change. You were in your hay=day on Gamblers Glen, no moderation you could say any damn thing you want and you did. You were relentless on my case all the time but I learned how to tune guys like you out decades ago.
November 9th, 2021 at 9:34:25 PM permalink
missedhervee
I knew guys like you, they never change. You were in your hay=day on Gamblers Glen, no moderation you could say any damn thing you want and you did. You were relentless on my case all the time but I learned how to tune guys like you out decades ago.

Actually I was in my heyday on John Patrick's board.

I was never a bully as a youth: I kept pretty much to myself, enjoyed Scouting, studied / read a lot, had a paper route and started my first after school job at age 15.

Funny thing though: after reaching adulthood I noticed that most people are full of hot air, and over the years I discovered it can be great sport to deflate both their claims and their egos.

We guys got to get our aggression out somehow, eh?
November 9th, 2021 at 10:21:41 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee

I was never a bully as a youth:
(rest of post not quoted)

Whatever you say, it's your tail to spin. Go ahead and spin it any way you like, you know what my opinion is. Just today you said when you were young and in San Francisco it's a good thing they didn't try and get physical with you because they would have regretted it. Or words to that effect. Yeah, that sounds like a Boy Scout with a paper route who read a lot. I always heard that if you stand up to those guys who pick on other kids they will back down. That certainly was not true in my school. If you stood up to those guys they would beat the living crap out of you. And I suspect it was that way in most schools. Where's the crap of standing up to them comes from I have no idea. If you have a death wish maybe..