Random Thought of the Day

January 19th, 2022 at 5:43:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: missedhervee
I made a good living for the first twenty or so years of my practice when I did plaintiff's personal injury work, but I switched to all family law and never regretted it.

Not sure who was slimeyer: the adjusters or my clients.

Took a cut in pay when I gave up P.I. (personal injury) but had less stress, greater satisfaction, and still made good money ... just not as much as before.

It has to be the adjusters, right? The job description of insurance adjusters is basically to screw people over indiscriminately; as relates the clients, some of them just happened to be opportunists, but I should assume, many were not trying to screw anyone.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 8:20:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Admittedly, some of the stuff I go tsk tsk about with insurance companies is our own fault, so to speak ... present company excluded, I'd like to think

Term life insurance is really pretty cheap for a young person, but the companies know what will happen is once that person gets closer to advanced age, outrage begins over the increased price of it and it gets cancelled. So they teach their representatives to sell 'whole life' instead, which makes the early payments larger than term life payments, and as the client gets older the amount of the payment need not change much. Also, the extra money in the early stages goes to savings, and these reps will highlight that it makes it an investment. But this is the problem: they are terrible investment products, paying almost no interest at all in the best of times.

I suppose for some people they would never invest otherwise, so I guess there's that.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 19th, 2022 at 8:58:33 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna12687

Worlds oldest man dies
Why does this keep happening:-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 9:21:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit

Term life insurance is really pretty cheap for a young person, but the companies know what will happen is once that person gets closer to advanced age, outrage begins over the increased price of it and it gets cancelled..

Just last week I received communication from my last Term Life policy. It was a 15 year policy and expires in March. I have looked for any affordable new policies but at my age and health conditions I was looking at $1500 a month which is more than I can justify. Surprisingly, Genworth my policy holder sent me a letter stating that my policy was expiring but if I wanted to continue it the monthly premium would go up about $100. So now, an old sickly man like me will have life insurance for at least another year for only $136 a month. I couldn't believe my good fortune.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 19th, 2022 at 9:56:03 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
Just last week I received communication from my last Term Life policy. It was a 15 year policy and expires in March. I have looked for any affordable new policies but at my age and health conditions I was looking at $1500 a month which is more than I can justify. Surprisingly, Genworth my policy holder sent me a letter stating that my policy was expiring but if I wanted to continue it the monthly premium would go up about $100. So now, an old sickly man like me will have life insurance for at least another year for only $136 a month. I couldn't believe my good fortune.

"Lou is like you, he's on meds too."

If you haven't heard that commercial in Florida yet, you probably will sooner or later.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2022 at 10:06:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich

I don't have a life policy
What good is it gonna do me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 19th, 2022 at 10:21:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I don't have a life policy
What good is it gonna do me

On that note, why isn't it called, "Death insurance?"

Old joke, I take no credit.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 19th, 2022 at 10:38:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
On that note, why isn't it called, "Death insurance?"

That's what people pay loan sharks to avoid.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2022 at 12:08:13 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Mission146
It has to be the adjusters, right?

A P.I. attorney could always bypass the adjusters by filing suit and actively litigating but that just interjected what were typically even more unpleasant individuals into the situation, i.e. insurance defense attorneys.

Couple that to the frustration I often felt about my client's lying about the severity of their injuries in the hopes of getting more money.

A wicked game.
February 3rd, 2022 at 6:59:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Upcoming Olympics in China looks like an episode of Squid Game. All these officials walking around in hazmat suits vs. the Olympians /competitors.