Random Thought of the Day

June 30th, 2022 at 1:38:02 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
Does anybody here use the dollar stores?
They are everywhere
Yet I never ever go into one

They are huge here in SW Florida. My wife and I will go in one every few months.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 7th, 2022 at 11:39:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Story on buzzfeed

I Feed My Family Of Five For $100 A Week — Here's What A Week Of Groceries & Meals Looks Like For Us

Hell, I could hardly feed one person on $100 a week when I was in college, (well maybe I did, I really don’t remember how much I spent)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 7th, 2022 at 12:49:03 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Story on buzzfeed

I Feed My Family Of Five For $100 A Week — Here's What A Week Of Groceries & Meals Looks Like For Us

Hell, I could hardly feed one person on $100 a week when I was in college, (well maybe I did, I really don’t remember how much I spent)

My last year of University in 1970 the food budget was $75.00. This was for my wife, myself and our 1 year old. We often did better than that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 7th, 2022 at 1:53:09 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Story on buzzfeed

You must have been rich. I ate Top Ramen, Mac&Cheese, Baco soup., and the cheapest possible hot dogs i could find. I doubt that I spent $10 a week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 8th, 2022 at 12:40:23 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Was anybody married in Mayberry on the ol Andy Griffith show?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 8th, 2022 at 12:47:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: terapined
Was anybody married in Mayberry on the ol Andy Griffith show?

There was more than one show about "Gettin' married" theme in that show. Aunt Bee trying to get Andy married. I don't remember a marriage show for the main characters, but I could be just forgetting.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 8th, 2022 at 12:51:17 PM permalink
rxwine
I didn't watch it but "Luke&Laura" marriage on General Hospital was a major television plot way back when.
July 8th, 2022 at 4:47:51 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
There was more than one show about "Gettin' married" theme in that show. Aunt Bee trying to get Andy married. I don't remember a marriage show for the main characters, but I could be just forgetting.

I believe the only person married on The Andy Griffith show was Otis.

Otis was the town drunk.

Says a lot about marriage.
July 8th, 2022 at 5:42:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
I believe the only person married on The Andy Griffith show was Otis.

Otis was the town drunk.

Says a lot about marriage.

Yeah, the show was full of bachelors, two young unmarried women for Andy and Barney's girlfriends. Older unmarried women, or what they used to call "spinsters". The closest to a probably married main character was the mayor. But he got even less screen time than Otis.

But it would have been odd for Andy or Barney to hang with a married couple like a third wheel. Which is why they probably never did it. Andy was a widower though, (with Opie).
July 8th, 2022 at 6:12:30 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Andy was a widower though, (with Opie).

They had to pander to their conservative audience those days.

My, how things have changed.

Today Andy wouldn't be a widower, he'd have never married, and only wound up with the brat after the unwanted child's junkie mama OD'd on fentanyl.