Random Thought of the Day

March 15th, 2015 at 4:33:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine

This has been known for quite some time... so too is the side effects of several drugs, notably fluoxetine, Prozac on a distinct subset of the population. '

Brain trauma can affect sexual orientation as well as sexual appetite but usually the effect is on sexual appetite. The mild concussion of a motor vehicle collision suffered by a standee in a bus was thought to be a mild injury until her lawyer started hearing things about his client propositioning not only the doctor he sent her too but also the males in his waiting room.
March 15th, 2015 at 3:16:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm listening to a Great Courses series on espionage and covert operations. Interestingly, the right "industry" terms are exactly those used by Tom Clancy in his novels.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 19th, 2015 at 7:54:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Back in the day (whatever that means), when you got a credit card to replace an expired or lost one, you could just use it. These days you have to "activate" it. Not too long ago you could activate it by inserting it on an ATM and making an operation (check your balance, withdraw money, etc).

These days you have to call the bank and request the activation. The bank will take down the number and ask a few "security questions." that's fine. but then you have to sit through essentially a telemarketing pitch for their other products. Additional cards, insurance, insurance for all your credit cards, loans, mortgage credit, new car purchase credit, etc.

It really gets tiresome. But the worst part is you cannot hang up as with other telemarketers, because you made the call.

on the plus side, I'll be that much more careful with my credit cards from now on. I don't want to sit through that more often than absolutely necessary. So I shouldn't misplace or lose any of them if only for that reason.
March 21st, 2015 at 12:18:09 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
My experience is that you get activation and then get switched to an operator. Sometimes you even hear the phone ring. At that point you can hang up*, or you can have fun and ask why it is the operator does not even know what your name etc. is LOL!

*I've tested this thoroughly
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 21st, 2015 at 2:54:47 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I've never had a telephone card activation end up with a live person.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 22nd, 2015 at 3:01:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2015 at 6:12:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Taco/serendipity/Wizard/license/plate/thread.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 24th, 2015 at 7:02:27 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
We all have heard the idea that gerbils and other similar rodents are bored and that we do them a great disservice keeping them in cages. Often held up as proof is the wheels that we put in and the aimless running to nowhere they pursue on them.

A scientist had the idea to put some wheels out into the woods to see what happened. In very short order the small wild rodents had found them and began to run on them for lengthy times. Not sure what this means but I found it interesting.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 25th, 2015 at 8:07:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: kenarman
A scientist had the idea to put some wheels out into the woods to see what happened. In very short order the small wild rodents had found them and began to run on them for lengthy times. Not sure what this means but I found it interesting.

That rodents are fitness fanatics?
March 25th, 2015 at 8:18:59 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
If that proves that rodents are fitness fanatics have we also proven that fitness fanatics are rodents ;-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin