Random Thought of the Day

November 13th, 2022 at 2:32:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
[raccoon meat story]
People today would be astounded about not just what was commonly eaten back in those days, but how generally accepted it all was. I have a mid-60s 'Joy of Cooking' which has all kinds of recipes for game along with lots of advice, and I just pulled it out again recently. That it is the J of C cookbook absolutely testifies to this acceptance. I would guess that the 60s version was a little changed from the earliest copyright mentioned, 1931. Modern versions have none of this.

I especially get a kick out of the advice about eating possums, which is that it is best to capture a possum and feed it for a while on milk and cereal

there is a cartoon-illustrated set of instructions on how to skin a squirrel as well
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
November 13th, 2022 at 3:53:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
[raccoon meat story]
People today would be astounded about not just what was commonly eaten back in those days, but how generally accepted it all was. I have a mid-60s 'Joy of Cooking' which has all kinds of recipes for game along with lots of advice, and I just pulled it out again recently. That it is the J of C cookbook absolutely testifies to this acceptance. I would guess that the 60s version was a little changed from the earliest copyright mentioned, 1931. Modern versions have none of this.

I especially get a kick out of the advice about eating possums, which is that it is best to capture a possum and feed it for a while on milk and cereal

there is a cartoon-illustrated set of instructions on how to skin a squirrel as well

Even though I've lived in Florida two different times for about a decade each, I only tried alligator about two years ago. It was good.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 13th, 2022 at 6:16:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
[raccoon meat story]

Even though I've lived in Florida two different times for about a decade each, I only tried alligator about two years ago. It was good.

The only way I have had alligator was deep fried and I really didn't think it had much taste.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 13th, 2022 at 6:44:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
found an image of the Joy of Cooking illustration I made a long time ago

November 17th, 2022 at 8:28:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
16.5% of women who own or have had sex with a mechanical human.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/new-study-reveals-insane-amount-of-sex-robot-owners-worldwide/ar-AA14cOQw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f8dd1f712a3d497bc1bee4d0ca229490
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 28th, 2022 at 9:45:55 PM permalink
rxwine
The eyes have it.

December 6th, 2022 at 11:00:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Wall Street Journal has a story (behind a paywall so I can’t read it) that “Couples who combine finances are happier, so why don’t more do it?”

I can’t tell if the cart isn’t pulling the horse. Are they happier first? Or are they really happier because they combined finances?
December 6th, 2022 at 11:04:44 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Wall Street Journal has a story (behind a paywall so I can’t read it) that “Couples who combine finances are happier, so why don’t more do it?”

I can’t tell if the cart isn’t pulling the horse. Are they happier first? Or are they really happier because they combined finances?

I have always been baffled by married couples that have separate finances. It never even occurred to me when I got married, not even the second time.

Speculation: Couples that have combined finances have greater trust in each other and are therefore happier.

I was probably too naïve, but when I got engaged I added my fiancé's name to all of my bank accounts.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 8th, 2022 at 3:03:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
December 9th, 2022 at 4:10:44 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've grown very suspicious of all these surveys

used to be, if some outfit wanted me to answer "how was your experience with XYZ sales?" I might or might not participate, especially if it was a good experience ... because you know disgruntled folk tend to be the ones to respond

now I'm inundated with this "how did we do" "rate this" etc etc to the point I automatically get rid of the popups etc as fast as I can ... there's too much of it. What's going on? I'm now suspecting nefarious motives