Random Thought of the Day

April 22nd, 2015 at 12:53:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
So when you're age 30, half of all the others born on the same year are already dead.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 22nd, 2015 at 3:47:27 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Really? Is that in the United States, the whole world, or some other specific country or number of countries?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 22nd, 2015 at 4:38:55 PM permalink
rxwine
It sounds high, but if the stats I looked at are right ages 0-10 account for 24 percent. After that, it's about 10 percent per decade.

Just U.S. Somewhat better for women.

So, like I'm pretty sure half my high school class is not gone at thirty, but a lot of people would be gone even before they started school. So most people wouldn't even remember them unless they are a family member.

I believe that counts stillborn, though not early abortions and miscarriages.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 22nd, 2015 at 5:03:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
92.65% of all statistics are made up. 87.5% of the population knows this ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 22nd, 2015 at 5:34:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
So when you're age 30, half of all the others born on the same year are already dead.

No way that stat is right for the US or any developed country. Maybe as a world figure. If half the population is gone by 30 those still alive have to live to 110 to get the average age up to 70. Average age is higher than that.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 24th, 2015 at 11:32:06 PM permalink
rxwine
What animal do you see? There are two.

April 27th, 2015 at 1:37:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I cut it rather close this time, finally obtaining my passport less than a week before I leave (usually it's months before).

There's a reason, half involving work, half the appointment system used for this sort of thing, and the rest made up of a misunderstanding involving the name "Mexico."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 29th, 2015 at 3:38:47 PM permalink
rxwine
Murmuration
April 29th, 2015 at 4:48:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: rxwine

Creepy, almost. Looks like a school of herring, or a swarm of locusts.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 29th, 2015 at 4:51:25 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I occasionally get sucked into a click-bait vortex. Seems to be mostly inspirational stuff that deals with kids and whatnot. Saw one yesterday that really got me, so now I present it to you, unedited...

"Here's a heartwarming story about the bond formed between a little girl and some construction workers. This will make you believe that we CAN make a difference when we give a child the gift of our time...

A young family moved into a house next door to a vacant lot. One day, a construction crew came in and began building a house on the empty lot. The family's 5-year-old daughter became interested in all the activity going on next door and spent much of each day observing the workers.

Eventually, the construction crew, all of them gems-in-the-rough, more or less adopted her as a project mascot. They chatted with her, let her sit with them while they took coffee and lunch breaks, and gave her little jobs to do here and there to make her feel important. At the end of the first week, the men presented her with a pay envelope which contained $2.00. The little girl took this home to her mother, who said all the appropriate words of admiration, and suggested that they take the money she received to the bank to start a savings account.

When they talked to the bank teller, the teller was equally impressed and asked the little girl how she had earned her very own pay check at such a young age. The child proudly replied, "I worked last week with the crew building the house next door to us."

"My goodness gracious," said the teller, "and will you be working on the house again this week, too?"

The little girl replied, "I will if those assholes at Home Depot ever deliver the fuckin' sheet rock..."

Kind of brings a tear to the eye......
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.