Crowd sourcers Needed: view satellite images

Page 2 of 5<12345>
September 3rd, 2013 at 1:17:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Fleastiff
Tomnod still needs satellite image viewers of The Ditch (Tasman Sea) in search of the Nina or its life raft or a debris field.
World's most popular boating forum, CruisersForum, locks-out all posts concerning the Nina, its crew, any fund raising efforts or any efforts to add to the six thousand volunteer image viewers.
October 6th, 2013 at 9:12:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
American flagged schooner, the S/V NINA was declared by Rescue Coordination Center--New Zealand to be sunk in some undetermined catastrophic manner soon after noon of June 4th during their Crossing The Ditch (New Zealand to Australia).

No searches turned up any debris but searches started a few weeks after likely trouble and most of the searches were in the wrong area.

Anyway, crowd sourcers need volunteers to view satellite images and tag them if you see a life raft or a ship.

Seven Souls Aboard either the NINA or its Life Raft await your help. (One of them, Danielle Wright (19) only weighs 105 pounds so she doesn't really have the nutritional reserves for an ordeal aboard a capsized yacht or a life raft).

Nina Search

US Navy refused to assist.
US Coast Guard refused to grant access to its SAROPS software and drift modeling software for the Tasman Sea.
US State Department refuses any assistance despite the vessel being American flagged and having six of its seven crew being Americans.
Family members have exhausted college funds and retirement funds and have auctioned off memorabilia trying to raise money to keep a search plane fueled.

Tomnod volunteers still needed to view satellite images and click on anything that looks like a yacht or a life raft. Simple work.
October 9th, 2013 at 3:14:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff

Tomnod volunteers still needed to view satellite images and click on anything that looks like a yacht or a life raft. Simple work.
October 11th, 2013 at 3:23:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154

One more so we can have Fleastiff quoting Fleastiff qouting Fleastiff [g]

Fleastiff: I'll make a deal with you, I'll view more satellite images if you will reveal your interest in Rescue*. No need for revealing anything you'd rather not; just generally, what is it?

*I mean professionals who try to find lost hikers, boaters, and the like
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 11th, 2013 at 4:31:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
If your heart is not really into the viewing of satellite images then I'd prefer you not volunteer to do such lengthy, tedious but demanding work. We simply can not afford to have the job done poorly because then we write off that area of the Tasman Sea and perform drift calculations anew.

As to my interest in Search and Rescue, I think you will find that a great many of your friends and neighbors join their local sheriff's Search and Rescue posse in various Ground-Pounder, ManTracker, Dog-Handler or various Technical Rescue positions. Various logistical support personnel are often needed too. The pay is great: One Dollar per year from which payroll deductions are taken.

As to this particular situation I've not only dealt with volunteers from TexasEqquSearch before, but I happen to know that nineteen year old Danielle tips the scales at a robust 105 pounds and therefore really does not have the nutritional reserves for any extended ordeal involving sun, salt or sharks.
October 11th, 2013 at 6:46:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
a great many of your friends and neighbors join their local sheriff's Search and Rescue posse

I take it that includes you in some capacity unknown.

Thank you for your service.

Sincerely.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 11th, 2013 at 9:13:05 AM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5

I've been doing this for a couple of days and it feels good to be helping out. For some reason the site won't let me register so I'm just doing it as a guest, but it says you don't have to actually be registered to submit your findings.

I find that the "blue" maps are easier to identify objects which may be of interest. The "grey" maps are more difficult (to me anyway) due to some cloud cover and the whitecaps of the waves.

It is always interesting when you do see something out of the ordinary on the images. Below are a couple of pics of what I found that could possibly qualify as a life raft? The first picture is "unmarked", and the second one is where I clicked on it to mark it.

October 11th, 2013 at 9:28:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Tomnod is having a few software glitches but is unable to work on them in the interim.

In addition to the tagging of the map, please send an email to findthenina@gmail.com giving the map number and a description of where the hit is located.

Thank you for your efforts.
October 22nd, 2013 at 8:58:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
The object may have been a partially inflated life raft.
After it was spotted by the TommyNodders who are scanning the satellite images, new drift analysis calculations were performed and private search resources were tasked to locate the object but it was never found.
October 23rd, 2013 at 10:01:02 AM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
That object has been the one that has stood out the most for me so far. I've been continuing to look and have tagged some other possibilities, but none as large or as clear as the first one I posted.

Gonna keep on keeping on, though!
Page 2 of 5<12345>