Crowd sourcers Needed: view satellite images

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
September 3rd, 2014 at 1:11:42 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: terapined
Isis doesn't follow Islam just as the Westboro Baptist church doesn't follow Christianity
You've never read the Koran, huh?
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
September 3rd, 2014 at 2:01:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Oh the social niceties of our modern world.

At a Celebration of Life ceremony no one says "death" or "funeral". Indeed there is a empty table at the front that is reserved for the crew of the sunken vessel that everyone refers to as being "over due". Celtic Women's rendition of "Sailing" is played. All in yachting attire sign the book of remembrance and take their leave in high spirits.

I don't do well at such functions. I prefer to extend my efforts in the Search phase. Funerals are difficult for me even when laden with a non-death vocabulary.

Its the Review phase that is most difficult however. I've had enough of this politically motivated whitewash and utterly absurd "independent review". Why do rescue coordinators lack the courage to stand up and tell the truth. No hem, no haw, no song, no dance. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I just found this thread today, I am relatively new here.

Living in a fishing village [kodiak] this is another of the reasons we left. Boats go down too often and in a small community [as would be some of the fishing villages of NZ] everytime a boat goes down everyone gasps. You know you will either know someone who was on board or their kin. Just get weary of it, and funerals and raising funds for survivors and children of survivors [not because of donations] but the empathy is exhausting.

Reading up thread some posts, my faith is in the woman who had years experience "dead reconning". Selective availability on gps has grounded many vessels.

My experience at sea is nothing compared to what was on board but even I had redundant systems for everything and a plan if that didn't work. I knew the sea could get me but also that it would probably be my fault.

Why do rescue coordinators lack courage? Not sure if I interpret this how it looks but I don't question their bravery, having lived next to many sar coast guard. It's not a courage question, I think. It is maybe survivor sensitivity or respect for the victims or contributor fatigue? Just guessing.

On another note. I don't like at all the fact there is supposed to be operational this and next year thousands of spy type drones here in the US. I don't like it at all but I can definately see a real use for them for sar. They don't need sleep and it doesn't matter if they go down. That father taking flying lessons imo could better spend those funds buying drones, programming them to fly a grid and asking volunteers to watch the photos. Maybe also add in some infrared.

edit; fixed two typos
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 3rd, 2014 at 10:26:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Survivor Sensitivity nothing!

You place your left hand on the Bible, you raise your right hand and by oath or affirmation you give direct answers.

Why after a series of three near-history making storms did you wait ten days to send any assets out?

Why did you assume such slow progress to a sleek racing yacht?

Why when satellite manuals indicate error ellipses with a major axis of several hundred miles, do you not take this into account?
September 3rd, 2014 at 11:11:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I don't have any idea how it goes down under.

The Coast Guard in Alaska are thought of as heroes and indeed they prove it daily.

Bravery to the point of crazy.

However, they do take and follow orders.

How may news stories have a disclaimer attached that says the source wasn't able to identify themselves as they didn't have permission to speak?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 5 of 5« First<2345