2 votes (25%)
No votes (0%)
5 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

August 20th, 2013 at 10:18:00 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
They just didn't want the British to regain control of America through the election process. Whoever is representing the country just has to do it somewhere else besides president and I take this exclusion as a precautionary measure for the stupidity of the majority. There is a lot more which could be changed to ensure the rights of most people, but I would be to afraid these days in the era of Citizens United for any changes to be made. We would just get changes which would look good for a few years, then misery for a century.
August 21st, 2013 at 3:15:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
There is a lot more which could be changed to ensure the rights of most people, but I would be to afraid these days in the era of Citizens United for any changes to be made..

Citizens Unites is only about the rights of people to be heard.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2013 at 12:28:54 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
And we do not see how anything but a life-long American can do this. I do not want even a chance of split-loyalty.

Well there have been over 25 proposals to amend the constitution as far back as 1870 and they have all failed. Henry Kissinger and Arnold Schwarzenegger have been two of the strongest motivating forces in past decades.

Chester Arthur was rumored to have been born in Canada. He never confirmed the truth of that rumor. Senator Cruz was clearly born in Canada, but as he was a US citizen from birth (also a Canadian one) he may still be considered "natural born" as the term is basically defined through court cases. If he becomes a serious candidate, his eligibility will be challenged by someone, but courts may rule in his favor. As even his opponents probably don't want him disqualified, they will almost certainly pass a bill in the Senate saying he is "natural born".

One of the legitimate British descendants of King George V (roughly 70 people) was born in the USA to an American mother, so technically there is an American in the Windsor family that is in the line to the throne. All legitimate descendants of Sophie of Hanover (died 1714) are actually in the line. There are over 5000 of them and since WWII have included many Americans. But the descendants of King George V are first in line.

Perhaps a reasonable compromise between the 14 year citizen requirement alone, is a 14 year citizen requirement and naturalization before the age of 21 with place of birth irrelevant.

If you believe that opens up to a chance of split loyalty, then I would like to point out that a natural born citizen might view himself as a "world citizen" without the benefit of being born elsewhere.
August 21st, 2013 at 2:14:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin
Well there have been over 25 proposals to amend the constitution as far back as 1870 and they have all failed. Henry Kissinger and Arnold Schwarzenegger have been two of the strongest motivating forces in past decades.

Other than in "Demolition Man" I don't remember a movement for Arnold.
Quote:
Senator Cruz was clearly born in Canada, but as he was a US citizen from birth (also a Canadian one) he may still be considered "natural born" as the term is basically defined through court cases. If he becomes a serious candidate, his eligibility will be challenged by someone, but courts may rule in his favor.

He will probably have to renounce the dual-citizenship, but unless you are naturalized you are "natural born."

Perhaps a reasonable compromise between the 14 year citizen requirement alone, is a 14 year citizen requirement and naturalization before the age of 21 with place of birth irrelevant.

Quote:
If you believe that opens up to a chance of split loyalty, then I would like to point out that a natural born citizen might view himself as a "world citizen" without the benefit of being born elsewhere.

Yes, we have one in office now. But you do what you can to limit it. FWIW I didn't care for Mrs Bill Clinton moving to NY for an easy Senate seat. She represented herself, not NY.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2013 at 5:43:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Other than in "Demolition Man" I don't remember a movement for Arnold.

12/2/2004 Should we amend the Constitution to allow naturalized citizens to become president?

He will probably have to renounce the dual-citizenship, but unless you are naturalized you are "natural born."

Cruz says he will renounce any Canadian citizenship after releasing birth certificate

Yes, we have one in office now. But you do what you can to limit it. FWIW I didn't care for Mrs Bill Clinton moving to NY for an easy Senate seat. She represented herself, not NY.

I agree, but she was elected. I am actually surprised that was legal.
August 21st, 2013 at 5:56:56 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23

Damn, there goes Canada's plan to take over, finally :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 21st, 2013 at 6:11:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Until a few years ago, the requirement was that a candidate for the presidency had to be Mexican by birth, born of parents who were Mexican by birth, and grandparents who were Mexican by birth.

That is a trifle xenophobic, but I assume that restriction was part of the constitution of 1868, which would make it understandable as Maximilian the first was executed on 19 June 1867.

In the USA in 1798 naturalization was restricted to "free white persons" of "good moral character" who had resided in the country for 14 years and gave five years notice of intent. The constitution went into effect on March 4, 1789 so at that time the country was only 9 years old.
August 21st, 2013 at 6:23:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman

I agree, but she was elected. I am actually surprised that was legal.

NY Senate seats have long been and will continue to be playthings of Democrats from all over who need to build their resume. I still want to know what they had on Rudy to get him to drop out. Maybe something dirty from his mafia-fighting days?
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2013 at 6:39:09 PM permalink
Pacomartin
NY Senate seats have long been and will continue to be playthings of Democrats from all over who need to build their resume. I still want to know what they had on Rudy to get him to drop out. Maybe something dirty from his mafia-fighting days?

I would recommend the show VEEP
CRASS ROOTS “Veep” grows up. BY EMILY NUSSBAUM - MAY 6, 2013

If you don't get HBO you can get a feel for the nature of the show from the British comedy, "In the Thick of It" or "In the Loop" on NETFLIX. It is very erudite comedy about the inner workings of politics. The actor that plays the foul mouthed Malcolm Tucker, was just selected as the new Doctor Who . But that is a family show, she he won't be able to curse.

They have a very conversation about how you can't say war is "unforeseeable" or "foreseeable" or "inevitable" or "evitable" since all options are a break with official government policy. There actually is a word "evitable" in the dictionary but it is very rarely used as people prefer to say "preventable".
August 21st, 2013 at 7:03:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I would recommend the show VEEP
CRASS ROOTS “Veep” grows up. BY EMILY NUSSBAUM - MAY 6, 2013

If you don't get HBO you can get a feel for the nature of the show from the British comedy, "In the Thick of It" or "In the Loop" on NETFLIX. It is very erudite comedy about the inner workings of politics. The actor that plays the foul mouthed Malcolm Tucker, was just selected as the new Doctor Who . But that is a family show, she he won't be able to curse.

They have a very conversation about how you can't say war is "unforeseeable" or "foreseeable" or "inevitable" or "evitable" since all options are a break with official government policy. There actually is a word "evitable" in the dictionary but it is very rarely used as people prefer to say "preventable".

I have switched from cable to Netflix so may take a look.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>