Notre Dame is back!!!

Page 1 of 212>
October 27th, 2012 at 9:33:59 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I am so excitied that Notre Dame football is relevant again. What a great game against OU in Norman. Yeah Baybeeee!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 19th, 2012 at 6:24:21 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!! We're number one!!!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 19th, 2012 at 7:21:41 PM permalink
98Clubs
Threads: 2
Being an Eagle's fan, and a Mike Golic listener, I'm sure the Golic family is very proud of their son.
I think the last time ND #1 and undefeated was when Randall Cunningham was QB ('93?)

I posted ND#1 over at WoO bout 1/2 hour after I first heard it. College Football always seems better when ND is really in the game.
Bama/ND or Ducks/ND for all the marbles?
There are four things certain in life... Death, Taxes, the Resistance to them, and Stupidity.
November 19th, 2012 at 8:31:56 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
What's the over/under on total points in a 'Bama/ND championship game? 20? 25? I really like both programs, but Oregon & K-State would have been much more interesting to watch.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 20th, 2012 at 5:12:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Top 10 Reasons Notre Dame Should Be Ranked #1

10. Because it's Notre Dame
9. Because it's Notre Dame
8. Because it's Notre Dame
7. Because it's Notre Dame
6. Because it's Notre Dame
5. Because it's Notre Dame
4. Fans don't cry to the PC Police about the name
3. Because it's Notre Dame
2.Because it's Notre Dame
1. Because it's Notre Dame
The President is a fink.
November 20th, 2012 at 7:49:47 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Top 10 Reasons Notre Dame Should Be Ranked #1...

Haters gonna hate.

November 20th, 2012 at 7:56:28 AM permalink
Mosca
Top 10 12 reasons Notre Dame should be #1:

1) 50-10
2) 20-17
3) 20-3
4) 13-6
5) 41-3
6) 20-13
7) 17-14
8) 30-13
9) 29-26
10) 21-6
11) 38-0
12) Not on probation.
November 20th, 2012 at 8:20:54 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Would OSU be #1 if they were bowl-eligible? Kudos to those guys for playing their asses off despite having no chance at a post-season berth.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 20th, 2012 at 9:43:22 AM permalink
Mosca
Quote: rdw4potus
Would OSU be #1 if they were bowl-eligible? Kudos to those guys for playing their asses off despite having no chance at a post-season berth.

Maybe. Good team, good coach. Working against them is that Big 10 schedule (which also sort of works against ND because both the Michigan teams were supposed to be better). Their only win over a ranked team was Nebraska. OSU plays Michigan next week, that's always a great game.

As far as ND, USC is one hell of a good football team that has lost some games and doesn't recruit QBs that aren't studs. Freshman Wittek is ready to write the next chapter in heartwarming rise-against-adversity stories that are part of why we love college sports; ND will be ready to stop him. I don't think that ND players nor ND fans see this game as anything other than the toughest game on the schedule, against the best team on the schedule. THIS is ND's rivalry game.

Regarding the validity of the #1, who else you gonna give it to?

ND has beaten ranked Stanford, ranked Oklahoma, ranked Michigan State, and ranked Michigan. Every other team ND has played was at least .500 at the time except Boston College: right now Navy is 7-4, BYU is 6-5, Miami is 6-5; Wake Forest and Purdue are 5-6, and Pitt is 4-6. They haven't knocked off a string of #1s, but it is still a strong schedule of teams that play real football; there are no cupcakes (other than BC).

Alabama has also played 4 ranked teams, and lost to one of them (A&M). Their other games were Florida Atlantic (3-8), Arkansas (4-7), Ol Miss (5-6), Tennessee (4-7), Western Carolina (1-10), Missouri (5-6), and Western Kentucky (6-5 in the Sun Belt Conference). I really don't see a compelling reason to give it over to 'Bama based on what they've done this year.

My belief is that, when watching these games and considering these teams, you can only take so much history in to account. Just as ND was overvalued in the late '90s and early '00s based on their history, they are undervalued now, based on their last 15 years. This team is good, and they've gotten better through the year. Alabama is really good, too... but you can't say that they're better until the teams play each other.

My personal opinion is that if ND and Alabama were to play next week, Alabama would win. But, if ND beats USC and faces the winner of the SEC in January, it would be a tossup. ND can win that game. ND would lose to Oregon next week, but can beat them with a month to prepare. ND is about as good as Kansas State. (And of course my opinion is worth what you paid for it.)
November 22nd, 2012 at 6:12:57 PM permalink
johnnyq
Threads: 1
Quote: rdw4potus
-

No excuses, but let's be honest. IF all the dirty laundry in
NCAA football was put out to dry for everyone to see, the
OH-IO stuff with Coach Tressell would not even be worth
talking about. I think Coach Tressel got the short end of
the stick on this one.

So, yes, KUDOS for having a great season to date knowing
that they were ineligible for the big post-season prize.
Page 1 of 212>