My 5 wives

Page 2 of 2<12
September 17th, 2013 at 2:30:35 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If you want to read about it, there is plenty not to like many of these polygamist families. The way the young men not in line to get wives are treated is particularly upsetting. Additionally, in America many of the polygamists are accused of gaming the welfare system. Notice I use the word "many" as I suppose I can't claim to know that all are so odious.

I'd hate to think the TV program was promoting a family with any despicable characteristics.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 17th, 2013 at 7:42:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Many of the men in Cyprus have wives and many have male lovers but the sex industry involves their working life far more than their marriages or other relationships.

Since Michener was writing over 40 years ago, the concept of nudity on the beach and free love was shocking enough. His banker was a single man engaged in the age old pursuit of masquerading as someone more exotic than he was to satisfy a woman's desire for a foreign fling.

"The Drifters" never was made into a movie. Probably movies like "Easy Rider" took over that market. The James Michener novel that was adapted to a movie two times during that era was Hawaii (attempting to live off the good will of South Pacific).

Page 2 of 2<12