The universe

Page 1 of 212>
September 25th, 2013 at 7:12:39 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
While walking my dog this evening I looked up and saw an amazingly clear sky - it is both awe-inspiring and sad to realize that I will never get to learn, let alone see, what is out there in our galaxy or any of the trillions of other galaxies - and I am dumbfounded when I realize our entire universe is expanding - but what is it expanding into? What is there - out there? I think if I had one wish it would be to be able to travel instantaneously and learn what is in the universe and what is beyond the universe...just to know something we think of as infinite is indeed finite and expanding into something else. MIND = BLOWN!!!
September 26th, 2013 at 1:35:37 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Oh, those poor ancient fellows lost to antiquity who lived in a world wherein they could devote themselves to the night sky to their hearts content and not have to worry about traffic jams or paying taxes.
September 26th, 2013 at 7:12:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: aceofspades
I am dumbfounded when I realize our entire universe is expanding

Even more dumbfounding is that the Universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. Accelerating! Guys, that means Someone is stepping on the gas!

In spite of all the fancy talk about other dimensions and parallel universes and string theory and black hole event horizons, the fact is that no one has an answer to how this could possibly be. Scientists have come up with the term "dark energy" for the phenomenon. Acceleration takes energy as far as anyone knows, but no one truly understands what is going on.

Taking the theory out to what some consider a logical conclusion, consider that gravity is now being overcome by dark energy; but if acceleration continues eventually this increasing strength will overcome all forces including subatomic ones and all matter will fall apart. [Others are arguing this won't happen]

In any case, anyone who is not awed by the Universe is incomprehensible to me. The more we learn the more awesome it gets!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 26th, 2013 at 7:45:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
[..] it is both awe-inspiring and sad to realize that I will never get to learn, let alone see, what is out there in our galaxy or any of the trillions of other galaxies -

You won't ever get to learn everything there is, no. But you can learn plenty about some of what there is already. Considering the distance bwteen stars, not to mention galaxies, we've found out quite a bit about both.

Quote:
and I am dumbfounded when I realize our entire universe is expanding - but what is it expanding into?

That's a common mistake. It's not expanding "into" anything. It is getting larger. I grant you it takes quite a bit of mental gymnastic sand contortions, not to mention the use of badly flawed and incomplete analogies (I wont' even try), but you can reach a moderate notion of what is going on.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 26th, 2013 at 10:00:02 AM permalink
aceofspades
Quote: Nareed
[..] it is both awe-inspiring and sad to realize that I will never get to learn, let alone see, what is out there in our galaxy or any of the trillions of other galaxies -

You won't ever get to learn everything there is, no. But you can learn plenty about some of what there is already. Considering the distance bwteen stars, not to mention galaxies, we've found out quite a bit about both.

That's a common mistake. It's not expanding "into" anything. It is getting larger. I grant you it takes quite a bit of mental gymnastic sand contortions, not to mention the use of badly flawed and incomplete analogies (I wont' even try), but you can reach a moderate notion of what is going on.

In order for something to expand, there has to be something, even if we call it "nothingness" that is has to expand into.
September 26th, 2013 at 1:00:13 PM permalink
Nareed
In order for something to expand, there has to be something, even if we call it "nothingness" that is has to expand into.

So much for not even trying... <sigh>

If the Universe is all that exists, then there is nothing it can expand into. Whatever space exists either was there always or, as seems more likely, is being added (created, if you like).

As I said, it's not an easy idea to grasp. And I bet no one can picture it without risking their sanity.
September 26th, 2013 at 1:35:42 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If the Universe is all that exists, then there is nothing it can expand into.

We humans, most of us, are hopelessly caught in a concept of the universe, where straight lines going up, down, across, and to front and back go straight forever whether there is anything there or not. That's Euclidian I think; Newton was stuck there too.

After Einstein that is not what is believed to be the case anymore.

I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 26th, 2013 at 2:05:16 PM permalink
aceofspades
So much for not even trying... <sigh>

If the Universe is all that exists, then there is nothing it can expand into. Whatever space exists either was there always or, as seems more likely, is being added (created, if you like).

As I said, it's not an easy idea to grasp. And I bet no one can picture it without risking their sanity.

Do I detect sarcasm?

THe "universe" is what I use for our universe that we exist in - not whatever other universe exists beyond our universe's borders. For clarification, I will state humans live in Universe A and what we are expanding into is Universe B (for lack of a better term - although I am thinking of calling it BUZZworld)
September 26th, 2013 at 2:12:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The actual scientist who invented the Big Bang Theory told this joke to the actors. But he dragged it out forever so that it was as boring as possible. In his honor thye shortened the joke and gave it to Kaley for the show.
September 26th, 2013 at 2:21:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Do I detect sarcasm?

Are you Sheldon Cooper? ;)

No, there was no sarcasm in my previous post.

Quote:
THe "universe" is what I use for our universe that we exist in - not whatever other universe exists beyond our universe's borders.

If the universe is all that exists, then it has no borders (not being sarcastic). Nor can it expand into anything, because there is nothing into which to expand (still not being sarcastic). And if you can grasp that, it would put you above everyone who's ever lived before (and still not being sarcastic), at least as far as visualizing the entirety of all that exists goes (which is a qualification without sarcasm).

Gratuitous sarcasm: If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand quantum mechanics (I forget who said it; I think it was Dyson).
Page 1 of 212>