The universe

Page 2 of 2<12
September 26th, 2013 at 3:07:49 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Nareed
Are you Sheldon Cooper? ;)

No, there was no sarcasm in my previous post.

If the universe is all that exists, then it has no borders (not being sarcastic). Nor can it expand into anything, because there is nothing into which to expand (still not being sarcastic). And if you can grasp that, it would put you above everyone who's ever lived before (and still not being sarcastic), at least as far as visualizing the entirety of all that exists goes (which is a qualification without sarcasm).

Gratuitous sarcasm: If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand quantum mechanics (I forget who said it; I think it was Dyson).

Yes I understand the 'universe' is everything that exists. But then I expounded and stated since we lack a term for what the 'universe' is expanding into - I termed them universe A and universe B
September 26th, 2013 at 3:43:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: aceofspades
Yes I understand the 'universe' is everything that exists. But then I expounded and stated since we lack a term for what the 'universe' is expanding into - I termed them universe A and universe B

That implies either a space outside the universe, or a second universe. I maintain there's no such thing, or at least there's no evidence for any such thing(s).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2013 at 8:31:40 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Gratuitous sarcasm: If you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't understand quantum mechanics (I forget who said it; I think it was Dyson).

Richard Feynman.

Also

There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!
September 29th, 2013 at 6:49:31 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: aceofspades
..we lack a term for what the 'universe' is expanding into..
Why does it have to be expanding into something?
September 29th, 2013 at 8:57:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Heat Death of the Universe is actually a much older concept than The Big Bang Theory.

Page 2 of 2<12