I read Sandra Bullock said it was a hard movie
for her because she spent most of her time
on the set in a small green screen cubicle,
all alone, for weeks and weeks. I haven't
seen it but I generally don't like the green
screen movies, they're heavy on CG and light
on any real acting. I mean c'mon, weeks in a
cubicle, acting with nobody to play off of,
doing it over and over till you get it right?
I don't think so.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2013 at 12:26:47 PM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Quote: Evenbob
I read Sandra Bullock said it was a hard movie
for her because she spent most of her time
on the set in a small green screen cubicle,
all alone, for weeks and weeks. I haven't
seen it but I generally don't like the green
screen movies, they're heavy on CG and light
on any real acting. I mean c'mon, weeks in a
cubicle, acting with nobody to play off of,
doing it over and over till you get it right?
I don't think so.

She did a FANTASTIC job showing her emotions with barely any speaking. Bravo Sandra
October 15th, 2013 at 1:20:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: boopsahoy
She did a FANTASTIC job showing her emotions with barely any speaking. Bravo Sandra

Like I said, 40 takes of every scene and you get one
of them right eventually. It's why stage actors refuse
to do movies sometimes, on the stage you don't get
a 2nd chance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2013 at 1:35:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boopsahoy

I find it a mark of a good actor or actress that you can do different kinds of roles and work in your career. To compare take Tom Cruise and Bruce Willis. I enjoy them both, but Cruise really just plays the same character over and over. Willis, OTOH has been good guy and bad guy; comedy, drama, action. TV then graduated to movies.

Sandra I believe does stage acting as well as movies. This can be a hard switch. Stage actors feed off of and tend to like the audience being there. Rodney Dangerfield had a hard time in movies at first because the crew wasn't laughing at his antics. He had to have it explained to him that the film crew was *working* and not at a night club.

I will say I have generally enjoyed whatever I have seen Ms. Bullock in, though the last 10 minutes of "The Blind Side" didn't need to be in the movie.
The President is a fink.
October 15th, 2013 at 5:11:26 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
I will say I have generally enjoyed whatever I have seen Ms. Bullock in, though the last 10 minutes of "The Blind Side" didn't need to be in the movie.

SB has stated that she was a bit embarrassed that she won an Oscar for The Blind Side, and wanted to really push herself in Gravity to prove to the world that she deserved it. She may well get another next year. I'm betting they've already engraved the Oscar for cinematography or Special effects with Gravity's team names.

I saw it opening weekend, and was quite impressed. You'll believe you're really out in space feeling the same adrenaline as Sandra Bullock's character. It's a 91-minute, white-knuckle thrill-ride of suspense and adventure! You'll pay for the whole seat....but you'll only need the edge!!!
October 15th, 2013 at 5:33:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: zippyboy
You'll pay for the whole seat....but you'll only need the edge!!!

Who are you, Don Draper? :-)
The President is a fink.
October 16th, 2013 at 6:16:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
If you liked this movie, watch Alfonso Cuaron's other films that were not as popular, but are still excellent.
12/25/2006 Children of Men
3/15/2002 Y Tu Mama Tambien
1991 http://www.criterion.com/films/798-solo-con-tu-pareja

Gravity made $4m on it's 12th day. That is almost unprecedented today. The movie has broad appeal and adults are going to see it. Kids always want to see the movie in the first week.
October 16th, 2013 at 4:57:26 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
If you liked this movie, watch Alfonso Cuaron's other films that were not as popular, but are still excellent.
12/25/2006 Children of Men .....

Part of what makes Gravity great are the long shots, or scenes, with no cuts. Cuaron did this a couple times in Children of Men with the longest shot maybe 4 minutes or so, but Gravity has many of these, like the opening scene is 15 minutes with no cuts. Really gives the viewer the impression of being right there in space going through the same trauma the characters are going through.
October 18th, 2013 at 3:38:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Alfonso Cuaron's "Children of Men", Guillermo del Toro's "Pan's Labrynth", and Alejandro González Iñárritu's "Babel" were all released in Nov-Dec 2006. It seemed like the Mexican film directors were reaching their heydey in Hollywood.

Gravity is still bringing in adults after 14 days in circulation. It may end up in the top 10 for the year.
October 18th, 2013 at 5:51:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: zippyboy
Part of what makes Gravity great are the long shots, or scenes, with no cuts.
Just aired on TCM: Beneath the 12 mile reef a 1955 Romeo and Juliette amidst Conch sponge divers and Greek sponge divers in Key West. Do you have its financials handy Mr. Paco? Its average shot length was ten seconds. All that underwater stuff you know.

How did Orson Wells' Touch of Evil do? It had the longest opening shot in movie history, was that limited to opening only shots?
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »