Gravity breaking the modern rules

Page 4 of 7<1234567>
December 17th, 2013 at 3:28:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
But there are a lot of people who love to pick apart films looking for inaccuracies. But some so called "inaccuracies" are deliberate decisions made by the author to improve his story.

Some people watch movies and just watch the story, never noticing anything wrong. Some watch as Smarks and see it but do not care. Others watch as if they are in film school and enjoy finding the errors.

It may depend on what your background is. For example, I could care less about the diaper. But the new "Dallas" drove me insane with weeks of shows showing Bobby unable to stop JR from drilling for oil on Southfork Ranch after he sold it. He put up all kinds of challenges. He said, "I want my deed back!" I kept wanting to scream, "You don't get a 'deed back' you get 'title back' and what kind of lawyer did you hire because all you had to do was except and reserve the mineral rights!" I even froze the frame when they showed the deed on-screen to see how real they made it look.

As to the comment on the car chases I have heard directors will tell the extras it is for practice then have the real crash to get a real reaction as all you need is just a few extras doing things wrong to ruin a really good shot. I see nothing wrong with that.
The President is a fink.
December 17th, 2013 at 5:58:09 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
Some people watch movies and just watch the story, never noticing anything wrong. Some watch as Smarks and see it but do not care. Others watch as if they are in film school and enjoy finding the errors.

It may depend on what your background is.

I am terrible with this, especially any show containing cars and guns. I can't help but point out what options weren't available in certain years, or the fact that you hear a gunshot before you see the recoil, or that a particular weapon can only hold X rounds but the hero shot X+ times without pause, whatever.

Pictures in the background being moved, people in different positions/stances, hair out of place, collar slightly askew where before it wasn't, dirtying the left hand but it's the right which leaves a print...

As to the comment on the car chases I have heard directors will tell the extras it is for practice then have the real crash to get a real reaction as all you need is just a few extras doing things wrong to ruin a really good shot. I see nothing wrong with that.

Crash scenes are the worst. One can always seen a hundred skid marks where they redid it over and over, or damage to the scenery, the grass, the curb, whatever. And then they pull of the perfect jump/skid/barrel roll, the car lands, the suspension completely explodes... and the car just continues to drive on as if nothing happened.

Very next wide shot, car is right as rain.

Even I hate watching movies with myself ><
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 17th, 2013 at 7:16:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've never understood the need for Westerns or similar to show the specific anachronism of guns using metal cartridges in an era before their actual use. It always bugs me; it's as if it would be emasculating to have to load with ball and powder.

Example, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
December 17th, 2013 at 12:38:43 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
I am terrible with this, especially any show containing cars and guns. I can't help but point out what options weren't available in certain years, or the fact that you hear a gunshot before you see the recoil, ...

THAT'S why youtubes of people shooting always look 'odd' to me.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 17th, 2013 at 12:57:36 PM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
THAT'S why youtubes of people shooting always look 'odd' to me.

Yup! Cuz it's real lol.

Nearly all movie shots are using blanks. Blanks are fashioned similar to live rounds, except instead of a projectile crimped into the end of the case, the case is just crimped shut, keeping the combustibles inside.

Simple physics. If you force something out the end of the barrel (a round), an equal force pushes back into the stock (and into your person). If there's no projectile, all you're pushing is air, which ain't that heavy. There's nearly no recoil; it has to be manufactured. And their cue is sound. And it's always wrong.
December 17th, 2013 at 1:22:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Crash scenes are the worst. One can always seen a hundred skid marks where they redid it over and over, or damage to the scenery, the grass, the curb, whatever. And then they pull of the perfect jump/skid/barrel roll, the car lands, the suspension completely explodes... and the car just continues to drive on as if nothing happened.

Very next wide shot, car is right as rain.

Even I hate watching movies with myself ><

Saw the worst on A-Team on Netflix. They crash the van into the ocean but it is 10 years older, round headlights, and hub caps to look like the fancy wheels. If that isn't bad enough they used the same shot the next season!
The President is a fink.
December 17th, 2013 at 3:46:10 PM permalink
Face
Saw the worst on A-Team on Netflix. They crash the van into the ocean but it is 10 years older, round headlights, and hub caps to look like the fancy wheels. If that isn't bad enough they used the same shot the next season!

Pfft. Amateur ;)

Three words.

"Dukes of Hazard"

=)
December 17th, 2013 at 4:41:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
People can still die from blanks! I hate it when a revolver is empty when they aim it at the camera but from a safety point of view I applaud the armorer for not allowing realism.

Cars are often empty or filled with dummies when they go off a cliff.

Bullit was a good movie: the hit men were middle aged, they put ear plugs in their ears before firing shotguns in closed places.
December 17th, 2013 at 5:24:36 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Yup! Cuz it's real lol.

Nearly all movie shots are using blanks. Blanks are fashioned similar to live rounds, except instead of a projectile crimped into the end of the case, the case is just crimped shut, keeping the combustibles inside.

Simple physics. If you force something out the end of the barrel (a round), an equal force pushes back into the stock (and into your person). If there's no projectile, all you're pushing is air, which ain't that heavy. There's nearly no recoil; it has to be manufactured. And their cue is sound. And it's always wrong.

I remember years ago in Kalifornia in particular, near the end, Brad Pitt is shooting cops in an abandoned house while he's running ("at a dead run!" he brags), and there's absolutely no recoil as he's shooting. Really noticeable.

When I'm out plinking targets with my .45, the recoil can really hurt, particularly in wintertime. I once shot a friend's S&W .50 cal revolver and hit the target on the first shot, but couldn't hit it after that because my hand hurt so much, the anticipation of the next shot made me miss. So I crack up at recoil-less movie gunfights too, Face.

Pictures in the background being moved, people in different positions/stances, hair out of place, collar slightly askew where before it wasn't, dirtying the left hand but it's the right which leaves a print...

Skid marks crack me up, so do tracks in the snow. Or ski chases like in some Bond movie 15 years ago, Bond is being chased cross-country and over a cliff or something, but obviously we can see tracks in the snow from multiple tries to get the shot.

I read a book some years ago detailing many many continuity errors in films like you mentioned. Scenes where the viewer can see the boom man's reflection in a bathroom mirror for a sec (Cousins IIRC) and many scenes where the mic is visible at the top of the screen. Nowadays they can take that out in post-production. In fact, CGI is used so often now in scenes where you wouldn't even think it necessary just to make the sky bluer, remove molehills in yards, make headlights brighter, remove airplanes and their noise from quiet scenes, add smoke coming out of a gun barrel, etc. It's as common as Photoshop in advertising and autotune in music.
December 17th, 2013 at 7:58:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Gravity was one of Yahoo's 25 best movies of 2013.

25. "Fast and Furious 6"
24. "The Kings of Summer"
23. "Captain Phillips"
22. "Before Midnight"
21. "20 Feet From Stardom"
20. "Nebraska"
19. "Fruitvale Station"
18. "Rush"
17. "Blue Jasmine"
16. "Stories We Tell"
15. "Saving Mr. Banks"
14. "The World's End"
13. "The Conjuring"
12. "Blackfish"
11. "The Place Beyond the Pines"
10. "Frozen"
9. "Short Term 12"
8. "Inside Llewyn Davis"
7. "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire"
6. "Her"
5. "Dallas Buyers Club"
4. "The Wolf of Wall Street"
3. "American Hustle"
2. "Gravity"
1. "12 Years a Slave"

Pretty interesting collection of films from blockbusters to tiny films. It looks like "12 Years a Slave" is a good contender for best picture.

It does not look like "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" will pass Iron Man 3 in revenue.
Page 4 of 7<1234567>