First world anti-homosexuality evangelism and Africa

Page 2 of 4<1234>
November 4th, 2013 at 12:46:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
I have to think that Kellie Pickler is putting people on with some of her comments.
Just as I put you on with many of my comments.
November 4th, 2013 at 1:59:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit

I never complain about the size of the US.... it's one of it's attractive features. Same with Canada... it takes a while to understand how truly large the countries here are.

What Americans do not understand is how underpopulated the USA still is in many ways. While people in north jersey are packed on top of each other, taken as a whole there is lots of room. I believe I read once that if the entire world decided to move into the lower-48 the population density would still not be what is is in some of the most dense countries, and that is not even city-states like Singapore and Hong Kong.
The President is a fink.
November 4th, 2013 at 6:47:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
I believe I read once that if the entire world decided to move into the lower-48 the population density would still not be what is is in some of the most dense countries,...

Well Bangladesh is over 1000 people per square kilometer. The lower-48 is 8 million square kilometers, so if it was as packed with the same density as Bangladesh it would hold 8 billion people. That is more than the population of the world until roughly 15 years from now.

Of course in 15 years Bangladesh will be much more crowded as they have a healthy fertility rate.

In 1950 the population of India was 370 million, and the population of the entire Western Hemisphere (Northern and Latin America) was 331 million. In the last 63 years India has been growing faster than the Western Hemisphere.

Look how small India is compared to the entire Western Hemisphere.

When it is 1 billion in the West Hemisphere, and 7 billion in the East Hemisphere I think we should guard the oceans. Of course that will never happen as the USA is way to invested in the Eastern Hemisphere.
November 4th, 2013 at 9:15:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
as they have a healthy fertility rate.
are too dumb and poor to use condoms.
November 5th, 2013 at 12:24:15 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Well Bangladesh is over 1000 people per square kilometer. The lower-48 is 8 million square kilometers, so if it was as packed with the same density as Bangladesh it would hold 8 billion people.

8 billion people in the U.S? I'd be happy to take one of the one way trips to the Moon or Mars.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2013 at 3:32:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Look how small India is compared to the entire Western Hemisphere.

When it is 1 billion in the West Hemisphere, and 8 billion in the East Hemisphere I think we should guard the oceans. Of course that will never happen as the USA is way to invested in the Eastern Hemisphere.

It isn't just how small it is, it is also how much is habitable. India has plenty of mountains where it is not possible to maintain any kind of population. A geology teacher I had once explained India is not geographically part of Asia and is losing about an inch of land a year. One day the whole thing will "slide under" Asia, ending the Sino-Indian rivalry once and for all.

More seriously, all the USA cares about in Asia is to continue the Mexican Standoff while at the same time seeing Russia declines but does not fall to the point China could dominate her. When the brakes hit world population growth in the late 2000s the USA might look to let plenty of Asians show up. Worldwide the USA, Canada, and Russia are the only three nations that can take large-scale immigration. When Asia gets overcrowded and old this may happen.
The President is a fink.
November 5th, 2013 at 6:33:31 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
Worldwide the USA, Canada, and Russia are the only three nations that can take large-scale immigration. When Asia gets overcrowded and old this may happen.

I don't know how many immigrants have actually crossed from Eastern to Western Hemisphere. We think that only a few thousand walked across the Bering Land Bridge, and much less are part of the genetic gene pool. I have heard that 400,000 slaves were brought to British North America.

All told, I doubt that more than 40 million people crossed the ocean (i.e. were born in the Eastern Hemisphere and died in the Western Hemisphere) in all of history.

The current population of roughly 953 million in Western Hemisphere are all descendants of the migrants (including those from the land bridge).

So now that there are 6 billion people in the Eastern Hemisphere, with over 120 million born every year, what kind of numbers are you talking about when you say large scale immigration?

Also when you are talking about the vast empty areas of Canada, don't forget that the interior of South America is sparsely populated.

November 5th, 2013 at 7:27:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Large scale immigration?
I'm not even certain if situations that are headline making the world round are necessarily large scale immigration.

Consider the various gold rushes in California and Alaska. World wide headlines. People from Australia, China, Germany etc. etc. Massive disruption as ships were stranded in San Francisco as not only entire ships crews deserted but so too did ship Captains. Families were uprooted, massive treks were undertaken, hardships endured... but many Klondike Stampeders never made it to the Klondike and many returned to their homes or to places relatively near their starting points. Many had no idea of their exact destination or the routes to get there but they soon had a taste of the rugged tasks ahead of them and gave up. Headlines, articles, advertisements, books, journals, sales of travel supplies ... doesn't mean there was much actual transportation or rejuvenation.

Even with the founding of the Colonies and the early United States there was a great deal of people who left North America. The passage of our Homestead Act and the Irish Potato Famine brought alot of people but not all proved up the land or filed their claims. Many people who moved into what later became the Dust Bowl left well before the dust bowl started. After all, one town in Oklahoma had descriptions of three types of trees yet there were no trees of any sort at all for hundreds of miles so those early land speculators were truly great hucksters.
November 5th, 2013 at 7:46:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Large scale immigration?
I'm not even certain if situations that are headline making the world round are necessarily large scale immigration.

The estimate is that the cross hemisphere immigration is roughly 1/2 million people per year (from East to West Hemisphere). Estimates are that it will grow to a million by the year 2027.

In comparison to other demographics this number is tiny. In the Western Hemisphere births outnumber deaths by 8.5 million, and is projected to decrease to 5.6 million as the population gets older. In the Eastern Hemisphere births are currently well over 100 million per year.

Immigration cannot balance out the vast differences in population density in places in the world in a period of a few lifetimes. It's like trying to save a sinking rowboat with a teaspoon.

For western hemisphere in millions
year: Xhemi-immi ,: Births-Deaths
2013 :0.56: 8.54
2014 :0.62: 8.44
2020 :0.83: 7.77
2027 :1.00: 6.73
2033 :1.12: 5.61
November 5th, 2013 at 8:00:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman

So now that there are 6 billion people in the Eastern Hemisphere, with over 120 million born every year, what kind of numbers are you talking about when you say large scale immigration?

I would say at some point in the next 100 years the USA and Canada will need to import 1/3 or more of their current population.

Quote:
Also when you are talking about the vast empty areas of Canada, don't forget that the interior of South America is sparsely populated.

Yes, but most of South America is not inhabitable being mountain or jungle. This is a major factor in why South America cannot seem to get its act together as well as North America economically. With less good land to build on for production and housing when the economy grows land inflation is more rapid. This keeps the population "house poor" and they cannot buy as many consumer goods, eventually causing another crash or else hyperinflation as the government tries to balance things out. Same thing happens in Japan, and on a smaller extent in California.

South America cannot be a major immigration magnet for this reason.
The President is a fink.
Page 2 of 4<1234>