My concerns about the WoV community

Page 2 of 3<123>
October 30th, 2012 at 7:26:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
I thought I agreed with the first sentence, because I too thought, "Why have a 'Gay and Lesbian' section?" then it occurred to me that while I see no need for one, you seem to be in favor of expanding it. From my understanding many gay folks feel excluded or like second class citizens, or what have you. Doesn't a separate section just reinforce that? Why not have an African American section, or a Chinese section, etc.? I think if the Wiz wants there to be a section where "Gay and Lesbian" issues can be discussed it should be even broader and include everyone.

I have to go with the "why have a section at all?" Do you see straight people talking about straight issues? Is there an issue for single people? Is there a section for fetishes? If the GLBT community is "tired of feeling like second-class citizens" then why do they keep bringing up their status on a forum?

Here is an example. In the 1990s Troy Aikman said he loved going to online chat rooms and BBSs because it was the only place he could have a normal conversation as a person and not be treated as "Troy Aikman." I'd guess there are more celebs who do the same thing. GLBT folks can come here and have a discussion and nobody will know or care about your satus unless you choose to bring it up.

And again the big question--"why bring it up?" Why can you not just have conversation about regular issues here? A quick look shows today's topics contain threads about the Dodge Dart, Lake Placid, Hurricane Sandy, pay-TV, and pinball. This is pretty wide and general interest. The topic-areas are also broad so you can bring up other things. No need to be "second-class," just join the discussion.

This is why I was among those requesting the gay section not appear in "recent posts" at WoV and make the same request here. Also why I request the ability to block certain topics. It is like a local bar that has a few gay patrons. If they come in, have a drink, and act like everybody else I will not care or notice. If it becomes a "hangout" I will take my refreshment and nightlife business elsewhere. So will most others. Trust me, the same will happen here.
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2012 at 8:22:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: MonkeyMonkey
From my understanding many gay folks feel excluded or like second class citizens, or what have you. Doesn't a separate section just reinforce that?

I had that argument when the Wizard first set up the GLBT section in WoV. I'm not going to have it again. Less so now that you've already, through no fault of your own, attrected some undesirables to the thread. You could look it up. I think most of it ought to be in the Free Speech section.

Quote:
As to your second sentence (at least the transgender bit)... I'm not sure how to express this without offending you, but wouldn't you be much better served by asking those questions on a forum dedicated to the topic?

Mostly when I ask questions here it's about the perceptions by mundanes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2012 at 8:46:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
While I don't want to make anyone feel excluded, I favor efforts to encourage discussion among groups that are not in the majority or in power. When I went to college I would complain that the university set aside a building called the "women's center" while there was no "men's center." This despite the fact that the student population was slightly over 50% female. At the time I thought it was unfair. However, today I'm fine with it. Women have issues relating to safety and sexism that men don't face, and I don't begrudge them a safe place to discuss such things. So, I think we need a section for heterosexuals as much as we need one for middle-aged white males.

Nevertheless, I want to make that topic broad. To steal an idea from Lady Gaga, how about "Born this way." If the purpose isn't clear, perhaps the subtitle could be "sexual orientation"? Comments?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 30th, 2012 at 8:49:51 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Nareed
I had that argument when the Wizard first set up the GLBT section in WoV. I'm not going to have it again. Less so now that you've already, through no fault of your own, attrected some undesirables to the thread. You could look it up. I think most of it ought to be in the Free Speech section.

All topics are doomed to repeat on forums. It's a fact of life. Wearily suggesting people look it up never works.

Quote:
Quote:
As to your second sentence (at least the transgender bit)... I'm not sure how to express this without offending you, but wouldn't you be much better served by asking those questions on a forum dedicated to the topic?

Mostly when I ask questions here it's about the perceptions by mundanes.

Usage of these terms highlighted can be seen as offensive, you know. I don't care if "mundane" is appropriate slang in the trans community. Certainly it has negative, looking down the nose connotations.

Politics/Religion/Sex - the three subjects you shouldn't bring up in polite company (or at least you can expect them to have large wars over those topics). Bam done. Split out the republican-furry-catholic section when it becomes clears that there's a critical mass (sic) of people going to Church on Sundays, tea-party meetings on Tuesdays and dressing up as Bugs Bunny to get their freak on Saturday nights. Until then, broad strokes, don't second guess it, UNLESS you want to foster talk on a particular subject. Such as the Office (UK) and Office (US).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 30th, 2012 at 9:58:27 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
All topics are doomed to repeat on forums. It's a fact of life. Wearily suggesting people look it up never works.

I might get lucky :)

Quote:
Usage of these terms highlighted can be seen as offensive, you know. I don't care if "mundane" is appropriate slang in the trans community. Certainly it has negative, looking down the nose connotations.

Mundane is a term I use, and it refers to how telepaths spoke of non-telepaths in Babylon 5. As far as I know, it's not used in th eTG community (I don't even know is it's still called the TG community in fact). The litreal menaing is "of this world." I'm unaware of any negative connotations, but I will apologize for using it and refrain from doing so again.

Undesirable is another matter entirely and I'd rather not get into it right now.
October 30th, 2012 at 10:03:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Nevertheless, I want to make that topic broad. To steal an idea from Lady Gaga, how about "Born this way." If the purpose isn't clear, perhaps the subtitle could be "sexual orientation"? Comments?

Mike, one thing that really bothered me at first was using descriptive names for all sections, except the GLBT one. That's singling out in a bad way. Providing a safe space is greatly appreciated. singling us out si not. So why not cal it "GLBTI, etc" and use "Born this way" as a subtitle?
October 30th, 2012 at 10:51:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard

If you must use "Born This Way" I would highly suggest the subtitle both state it is about gay issues and perhaps a half-retort to keep the "noise" down.

EG:

BORN THIS WAY
Whether yes or no, a discussion of LBGT issues

Obviously you can work with it and come up with something a little better, that was just off the cuff.

And as well, let those of us not interested have the option to not see it in "recent threads." My views are known. I will never visit the area, unless by accident in recent threads. I am sure others would agree, even if they will not say.
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2012 at 1:04:32 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
And as well, let those of us not interested have the option to not see it in "recent threads.".

Hey Wizard, just keep creating new boards, already people are complaining about their personal signal to noise ratios being violated.

Good grief.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 30th, 2012 at 2:34:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Hey Wizard, just keep creating new boards, already people are complaining about their personal signal to noise ratios being violated.

Good grief.

It is called "personal customization" and hardly a unique concept. No different than blocking a cable channel you do not like. A smart operator will realize a few lines of code can save a lot of headaches.
The President is a fink.
October 30th, 2012 at 2:49:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine

You see why I have him blocked. I had enough of broken records back in the 70s. Has he gone on against special treatment right before demanding special treatment? Or with "if this gets gay I'm leaving"? Or "there's no need to discuss these issues anyway"? And "We should cure the gays"?

Quote:
Good grief.

Whenever I see that phrase I always think of Charlie Brown. Good grief!
Page 2 of 3<123>