How to make murder legal

November 22nd, 2013 at 2:42:47 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
In Larry Niven's "Known Space" universe there is an agency called the ARM which, among other things, polices and supresses dangerous technological advances. IN an early story set in this universe, one ARM agent claims (I'm paraphrasing from memory) "There are things which would make it impossible not to legalize murder!" as a justification for the ARM's actions.

Niven likes to leave a lot to the imagination. I wonder, now and then, what he possibly could ahve had in mind (if he had something in mind, that is). I never could come up with anything, until today:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2065130/fcc-proposes-to-allow-mid-flight-phone-calls-ruining-air-travel-for-everyone.html

;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 23rd, 2013 at 8:14:13 AM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
In Larry Niven's universe:

1) Telekinesis is possible (Long Arm of Gil Hamilton)
2) They execute people for minor offenses to collect their organs. (A Gift From Earth)
3) Breed people to be really lucky and it works (Ringworld)
4) Humans are supposed to transform into people with beaks during menopause (Protector)
among others

Perhaps we could harvest the organs of anyone that uses a cell phone on an airplane. I can support that.
November 23rd, 2013 at 10:25:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: s2dbaker
2) They execute people for minor offenses to collect their organs. (A Gift From Earth)

Did you miss "The Jigsaw Man"?

Quote:
Perhaps we could harvest the organs of anyone that uses a cell phone on an airplane. I can support that.

What's not to support? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER