Dr Who in 94 countries

Page 2 of 2<12
November 25th, 2013 at 11:28:11 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
James Bond is older than Doctor Who, which amused me when I found out.

I wouldn't have said Dr Who was ever a kids TV show. It's always been targetted as family entertainment... sit around the tube and watch some drama together type stuff. I grew up with it, loved it, and it was a central part of the Saturday afternoon tea time in our house. 1000's of kids my age hid behind the sofa when when the Cybermen or Darleks came on.

It was always lo-fi, low budget and over-dramatic. I don't like the modern version as much, but that's because I'm not my 12 year old self.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 25th, 2013 at 1:08:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: TheCesspit
I wouldn't have said Dr Who was ever a kids TV show.

I've never seen it so I can't comment, but it's an appelation often applied to SF shows in general. A friend of mine would chide me about watching all Star Trek series, as being "fond of kiddie shows." She stopped only when she became engrossed with Babylon 5.

On the other hand, some productiosn meant for children (and I include hear things aimed at families with lots of very young children), kind of contain horrific scenes children shoulnd't see. I once hear Disney's Pinoccio described as "a children's horror movie." That's remarkably apt given what happens to the wooden puppet. Likewise some scenes in classics like Snow White and The Wizard of Oz. And both Willy Wonka movies are way too disturbing for children, IMO.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 28th, 2013 at 6:32:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
It was always lo-fi, low budget and over-dramatic. I don't like the modern version as much, but that's because I'm not my 12 year old self.

I was surprised at how some episodes like "Turn Left" took on such serious themes like The Holocaust. I don't think children really learn about such things, because most dramatizations are aimed at older adults.
Page 2 of 2<12