Brits Label a map of the States...

Page 1 of 41234>
November 26th, 2013 at 8:28:02 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
... badly...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

Just to get some revenge on the 'Americans don't know where Paris is' type nonsense.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 26th, 2013 at 8:43:24 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: TheCesspit
Just to get some revenge on the 'Americans don't know where Paris is' type nonsense.
Given a blank map of Europe (without borders), I don't think I could place a pushpin within 200 scale miles of Paris. I've been to Amsterdam and still I have trouble finding it on a well labelled map.

I can however throw a dart at a map from 10 feet away and hit the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas.
November 27th, 2013 at 5:11:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't see the huge deal. You might hope they get the 13 colonies right as the colonial rebellion would be taught in their schools. But I would not expect them to get more than a few of the states. I know I would get maybe 2 Mexican states and a few Canadian provinces myself and I consider myself above average in geography. It is just that if you do not deal with the internal divisions you don't know them top of mind.
The President is a fink.
November 27th, 2013 at 8:41:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
How many people on this forum can name all 28 countries in the European Union without looking them up. Theoretically it should be easier than naming 50 states.
November 27th, 2013 at 9:20:31 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
How many people on this forum can name all 28 countries in the European Union without looking them up. Theoretically it should be easier than naming 50 states.

None. But I'll play...

Germany, Holland, Belgium, The Netherlands, The U.K., France, Finland, Spain, Ireland, Hungary, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Greece, Albania, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Norway, some of Russia, Ukraine....

So pretty much, if Top Gear hasn't driven through it, or hockey players don't come from it, it doesn't exist in my mind =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 27th, 2013 at 10:41:02 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Face
None. But I'll play...

Germany, Holland, Belgium, The Netherlands, The U.K., France, Finland, Spain, Ireland, Hungary, Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, Greece, Albania, Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Norway, some of Russia, Ukraine....

So pretty much, if Top Gear hasn't driven through it, or hockey players don't come from it, it doesn't exist in my mind =p
Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, France, U.K., Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Austria, NOT Switzerland, Czech Republic, Greece, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovenia, Romania, Bulgaria (I think), Luxembourg, Croatia, Hungary, Ireland, Malta ... is that 28 yet?

(Edit: Okay, I added a couple. Can you guess which ones?)
November 27th, 2013 at 10:49:04 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Face

Holland is a region of the Nethlerlands. Some foreigners use it as a term to refer to the whole country, but natives are offended by that usage. Much as British people are offended by the use of the term English to describe the entire country.

BENELUX is a useful term to remember which is short for Belgium, Netherlands, Luxumbourg. It is the oldest of the post WWII transnational unions. These 3 countries were closely related before Napolean.

THe original six countries were BENELUX, Germany, France and Italy in the late 1950's.

Sometimes it helps to remember the first six, then remember that the total got to 15 before the introduction of Eastern Europe. They took 10 more on a single day, then added 3 more in recent years.

But Russia, Ukraine, and Albania are not part of the EU.
November 27th, 2013 at 11:22:20 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't see the huge deal. You might hope they get the 13 colonies right as the colonial rebellion would be taught in their schools. But I would not expect them to get more than a few of the states. I know I would get maybe 2 Mexican states and a few Canadian provinces myself and I consider myself above average in geography. It is just that if you do not deal with the internal divisions you don't know them top of mind.

The point is the Brits love to post videos and posts of 'dumb Americans' not knowing where stuff is in Europe. Truth is, they don't know where stuff is in the US either (no surprise really).

I would not have been able to tell you the original 13 colonies, or get the right spots on the map after school, it's not taught in depth very much. It happened, 1776 happened, and we'll move on. 1700's and 1800's aren't major periods taught when I was in school. It's all Tudors and World Wars and battle of Hastings.

I'd still have trouble getting the Eastern States lined up correctly, and I have a major advantage of living in the US's hat, and watching a fair amount of US sports and politics. I reckon I'd get most of them with a following wind and a bit of time...
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 27th, 2013 at 1:13:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
1) I'd like to see Brits label a map of Great Britain to whatever the equivalent would eb to the state level in the US (ie 30-50 subdivisions).

2) The EU is made up of Germany, Britain, France and ballast ;)

3) Amazing how many people miss obvious US states like East Jersey, Old Mexico, New Illinois and West Oregon, isn't it? :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 27th, 2013 at 4:26:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: TheCesspit
Truth is, they don't know where stuff is in the US either (no surprise really).

Well, the map indicates one of the best known English counties. Counties are similar to American states. How many Americans can name the county?

Traditional Counties of England followed by their county towns (capitals)
Bedfordshire - Bedford
Berkshire - Reading
Buckinghamshire - Aylesbury
Cambridgeshire - Cambridge
Cheshire - Chester
Cornwall - Truro
Cumberland - Carlisle
Derbyshire - was Derby, now Matlock
Devon - Exeter
Dorset - Dorchester
Durham - Durham
Essex - Chelmsford
Gloucestershire - Gloucester
Hampshire - Southampton, now Winchester
Herefordshire - Hereford
Hertfordshire - Hertford
Huntingdonshire - Huntingdon
Kent - Maidstone
Lancashire - Lancaster, now Preston
Leicestershire - Leicester, now Glenfield
Lincolnshire - Lincoln
Middlesex - Brentford, Clerkenwell or Westminster for different functions
Norfolk - Norwich
Northumberland - Alnwick, then Newcastle upon Tyne, now Morpeth
Northamptonshire - Northampton
Nottinghamshire - Nottingham
Oxfordshire - Oxford
Rutland - Oakham
Shropshire - Shrewsbury
Somerset - Somerton, now Taunton
Staffordshire - Stafford
Suffolk - Ipswich
Surrey - Guildford
Sussex - Chichester
Warwickshire - Warwick
Westmorland - Appleby
Wiltshire - Trowbridge
Worcestershire - Worcester
Yorkshire - traditionally York

Keira Knightly played the Duchess of ???
Page 1 of 41234>