Cooking thread

Page 2 of 96<12345>Last »
November 9th, 2012 at 6:56:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boopsahoy
Let me know if you need some chicken or veggie recipes! Ive been experimenting and came up with some good ones. (-:

Thanks!

This week I think I'll take another crack at mushroom soup. I'm getting there. And I'll try a twist in my Italian Chicken croquette recipe.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 12th, 2012 at 12:59:12 PM permalink
Nareed
I did try mushroom soup again. Only this time it worked :)

I'll post it to the blog alter today. Never fear, I wrote down the recipe first. Actually it's mushroom and barley soup. The trick is to use enough mushrooms, a little flour and a little sherry. Speakign of which, my new cooking principle is: if I think to put wine or liquor in a recipe, I definitely should.

For next week I still don't know what I want to try. Something veetarian, probably, without textured soy.
November 13th, 2012 at 8:02:51 PM permalink
Nareed
And here's the recipe:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/11/mushroom-barley-soup.html
November 19th, 2012 at 7:09:55 AM permalink
Nareed
I'll be on a bit of a break for the next four weeks or so. pending some looking into a different kind of diet. For details see my blog: http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/
December 1st, 2012 at 7:35:05 AM permalink
Nareed
I seem to recall saying sometime that I found eggs hard to cook. I just made scrambled eggs this morning this morning and it was so easy, I wonder why I couldn't do them well before. So:

2 eggs, beaten
2 strips of bacon
1/4 small onion chopped
1/2 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced

Cook the bacon crispy, or to taste, on high heat. Remove from flame and set on a paper towel. Lower heat to medium and add the onion, garlic and ginger. while they saute, break the bacon into small pieces (if it's crispy, this is more easily done with your hands). Add the bacon to the pan, add the beaten eggs, scramble with a spatula until the eggs are cooked. Serve

That easy.
December 2nd, 2012 at 4:57:30 PM permalink
Nareed
I'm in love.

I bought this pan: http://www.wmf.de/shop/de_de/kuche/pfannen/schmorpfanne-o-28-cm-wmf-profiselect.html#

I paid about US$25 for it (you can see the price in Euros (ridiculous name for a currency if you ask me) in the link). It's great for all my sauce dishes, which are many. Better than the wok I've been using in some cases, because of the larger, flat bottom. I can even make soup in it :)
December 3rd, 2012 at 6:50:27 AM permalink
Nareed
My brain seems to be stuck for new recipes. I made all old rethreads yesterday.

Except for breakfast. I tried eggs again, only this time I varied the proportion. Egg yolk is very tasty, but it's high in fat and cholestherol. So I tried using one whole egg and three egg ehites (give or take, they come in a jar). The result is quite good, and not as bland as using egg whites only. To counteract the blandness some more, I added a teaspoon of soy sauce and a dash of Worcestershire. Next step is to make an omelette rather than mere scrmabled eggs.
December 3rd, 2012 at 7:35:28 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Nareed, regarding eggs: recent research says that the dietary cholesterol in eggs is of almost no consequence to your health. Like anything, use moderation. If you have heart disease you should limit your intake, but a normal person can eat eggs as part of a diverse diet. And since we are in Diversity Tomorrow, you are doubly protected, in the future!

I spent a month learning how to make the two types of omelets, and I have to say that it was one of the most rewarding cooking experiences I have ever undertaken. the Jacques Pepin tutorial video is incredible; the man is captivating. Watching him cook is like watching ballet. The classic and the country omelets are both excellent. I usually make the country omelet, but yesterday I made a classic omelet and it was just heavenly.

Jacques Pepin omelette/omelet
December 3rd, 2012 at 7:58:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Mosca
Nareed, regarding eggs: recent research says that the dietary cholesterol in eggs is of almost no consequence to your health. Like anything, use moderation. If you have heart disease you should limit your intake, but a normal person can eat eggs as part of a diverse diet. And since we are in Diversity Tomorrow, you are doubly protected, in the future!

I'll tell you what diversity means in thsi context: eggs are bad for you! No, eggs are inocuous! No, eggs are good for you! Now, eggs will kill you! No, eggs are beneficial! No, eggs are of no consequence! Etc :)

In any case, cholestherol is a fat, which carries 9 calories per gram. And there are other fats in egg yolk. So I'm trying to reduce that.

Quote:
the Jacques Pepin tutorial video is incredible; the man is captivating. Watching him cook is like watching ballet. The classic and the country omelets are both excellent. I usually make the country omelet, but yesterday I made a classic omelet and it was just heavenly.

Thanks. But right now I'm trying to learn by doing and watching. For instance, I've learned I need a smaller pan, as egg will spread all over the whole surface no mater what you do to stop it. Also one egg plus 4 whites are too much egg. I think I want the equivalent of three eggs, mroe or less, to make an omelette for one.

I've learned a few things along the way in other areas that way.
December 3rd, 2012 at 10:13:49 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I understand. Take 5 minutes, it answers a lot of questions that you haven't even asked yet. Pepin is the master of the egg. No one before or since is as good. And the video is designed to teach.
Page 2 of 96<12345>Last »