Cooking thread

March 10th, 2014 at 3:31:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I wound up doing the following:

3 170 gr. containers of plain Greek yogurt, non-fat, no added sugar
1 235 gr. contianer of fresh jocoque (it's kind of yogurt-like, but more fluid)
2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/4 of a small onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 2/3 tsp. powdered curry
1 cup wheat bran

Whisk everything in a bowl using a fork (the whisk itself was useless for this). The mixture is very thick and sticky.

In an oven-safe dish smear some of the mix at the bottom, then palce a piece of chicken breast pounded flat, cover it with some of the mix, add more chicken, more mix, and so on until you cover the topmost piece of chicken with mix. place in the oven at 200 C for 40 minutes.

It was ok. I'm thinking that 1) Greek yogurt is not what I want for this dish and 2) I'll need to find some other type of non-fat/low-fat unsweetened yogurt if I want to try again. I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but this wasn't it. The ginger does make it zingy, though, in a good way.

For next week, I've no idea what to amke.

For some time in may, though, I intend to try a slow-cooker, if I can find a good one in Vegas (there's this kitchen supply store at the southern outlet mall I really love almost as much as a shoe store). I'm collecting slow-cooker recipes for now.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 11th, 2014 at 11:22:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
. I'm collecting slow-cooker recipes for now.
Pease Porridge Hot ... in the pot, nine days old. Or Sourdough bread, aged two weeks. I bet that "log" of hamburger meat would cook well in a slow cooker.
March 18th, 2014 at 3:26:42 PM permalink
Nareed
I came out victorious in my quest to make cream of green bell pepper. Amazingly it's pretty much the same recipe as cream of Poblano chile, only using bell peppers. Stay tuned for a blog post as time, alas, permits.

Also I'm giving the yogurt chicken idea another go. I'm thinking of sticking with light jocoque, and perhaps coating chicken cutlets with it, then covering them with wheat bran, then brushing egg white on, then baking them <whew! long sentence!>. Sort of like a yogurt chicken milanesa. Then perhaps adding some tomato sauce, or amybe the whoel thing as a variant on my old Italian chicken.

Assuming, that is, I have the energy and will to cook anything come Sunday...
March 18th, 2014 at 4:43:21 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Nareed I jsut checked out your website -you have not posted there in ages!
March 18th, 2014 at 5:16:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: aceofspades
Nareed I jsut checked out your website -you have not posted there in ages!

I haven't cooked anything new in ages. Mostly I've been doing old recipes and experimenting, not very successfully, with odd ideas.

Besides, i get so few visitors, I mostly use it as my recipe repository in "the cloud."
March 19th, 2014 at 7:04:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Mosca

Bacon grease is awesome for clogging your arteries. Use it for frying almost anything: eggs, potatoes, onions, steaks, whatever. Store it covered in the refrigerator, about a month.

I'm going back a few months, but THIS ^^^

I remember a small cup ever present in the fridge full of bacon grease. Mostly, it went unnoticed by the child Face. But whenever hunting season came around, Pops would make pancakes using this very grease. Talk about a wallop of flavor! And they seemed to be more hearty, keeping the hunger away from 4a until well into the afternoon, even the ravenous hunger of young boys.

Is there anything bacon can't do? =D

In other news, I'm actually here with a recipe. Even I'm surprised, but here goes...

Jamaican Jerk Chicken:

Recipe makes 6 servings (2 if you're American. Cuz Americans are gluttons, see)

6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into chunks
4 limes, juiced
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions
1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
6 cloves garlic
2 habanero peppers
6 beers of your choosing.

Put the chicken in a bowl with lime juice and set aside. Crack one of the 6 beers and begin drinking. Take everything that isn't beer or chicken and blend it. Puree the hell out of it until it's a liquid, then dunk the chicken chunks in it before placing on a charcoal grill. Use the remainder of the blend as a marinade while cooking and save some for using as a sauce when it's done (keep some separate for the sauce, if you're afeared of salmonella or whatever.)

While that's cooking, do up some rice (and vegetables, if that does ya fine).

Cook until done. Serve with more beer, preferably in a warm climate under a palm tree.

Boom. Mouth orgasm.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 19th, 2014 at 7:09:53 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Oooh! And while I'm at it...

Bushwhacker

4 oz cream of coconut
2 oz Kahlua® coffee liqueur
1 oz Bacardi® black rum
1 oz dark creme de cacao
4 oz milk

Add 2 cups of ice and blend until smooth. It's like a coconut milkshake, a perfect sweet and cold contrast to the hot and spicy of the Jamaican Jerk Chicken that you should be eating with this.

Have, like, 12 of them. Add waves and sunshine for the perfect ambiance.

Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 24th, 2014 at 3:19:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Given the long work week, I was drained by Sunday and without any desire to cook anything complicated. So I whipped something up with one of my older recipes.

Next week I am trying the jocoque and wheat bran chicken. I'm thinking about frying (my way) the pieces and then finishing them off in the oven with tomato sauce and a very minute amount of Parmesan mostly for looks. It just seems right.

One thing I want to try next is a slow cooker. I saw some at Wal-Mart, but will be checking both models and prices against the cooking supply store at the outlet mall in Vegas. They're not very popular here, so I don't expect to find something beyond basic.

An advantage of these is that I could cooka t the ofice :) Really, just mix things the night before, put them in the fridge, bring them to the office the next day, and plug the cooker in at 8:30 in order to have a meal ready around 2:30 pm (a whole 6 hours). Then just eat a portion, and let the rest cool and place it in the office fridge.

Sounds good, doesn't it?
March 30th, 2014 at 11:59:08 AM permalink
Nareed
I'm committed to making chicken as described above, plus a variant on my garlic roasted potatoes (I want to try them with paprika as well), as I already defrosted chicken, egg white and bought potatoes... So I guess I'd better stop stalling and finish the work I allegedly came to the office to do (90% finfished as of now), in order to have some time later in the day which won't interfere with a badly needed nap.
March 31st, 2014 at 8:56:42 AM permalink
Nareed
I managed, though the nap had to be cut short.

I'll report again later. I just had a small bite of it yesterday. It was good, but one needs to eat the whole dish to be sure.

The downside is the jocoque mix doesn't hold on to the wheat bran very well, either fried or not. The good news is the mix doens't stick to the pan when being cooked. It was one of the easiest clean-ups after cooking I've ever done.