Cooking thread

September 20th, 2016 at 2:08:53 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Just googled. Those recipes suck.
September 20th, 2016 at 7:13:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
How many meals should twelve ounces of iceberg lettuce make if all I'm eating are salads and all I'm drinking is milk with turmeric and black pepper.
Salad dressing is Lemon-Herb EVOO.
September 23rd, 2016 at 10:17:42 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I'm going to try the peanut and breading for baked milanesas this weekend. I'm thinking of using peanuts alone on one piece, and peanuts mixed with panko or regular crumbs on the others.

As I'm experimenting, I'll do fewer than usual. Therefore I'm also making mashed potatoes on the side. I may still have a potato press somewhere. It's like a Brobdingnagian version of a garlic press. If not, I do have a masher. I'm thinking of adding peas and small ham cubes.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 23rd, 2016 at 1:40:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Peas ham and mashed potatoes sounds rather 'bland' rather than exotic. Good that you have proper equipment though.
September 23rd, 2016 at 6:26:00 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Wow. I've thrown out the package but I think it was six ounces of cashews, might have been eight ounces, but even going with six ounces it turns out that is about 1,100 calories or almost half of a 2,000 a day 'normal' diet. Add in the calories of the milk to make it fairly palatable and few dried cranberries...and it turns out I ain't dieting at all. No wonder I ain't been losing weight.
September 28th, 2016 at 8:27:59 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The peanut breading is nice, but when mixed with panko it's too subtle. I did one with only peanut and it was better, but still a subtle flavor. It would be best to eat it plain. So it's back to thinking up how to use the pulverized peanuts. They can sub for peanut butter in recipes, and it's easier to clean the food processor before you mix oil in. So there's that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 2nd, 2016 at 6:24:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Some general cooking questions.

How can I defrost frozen hamburger meat in an accelerated manner since I often forget to take the saran-wrapped cardboard out of the freezer in time.

I usually mix things like oatmeal or powdered grits into the meat to absorb the grease that I have paid for, but often its simply too greasy to eat. What proportions should I use?

Often the edge of the hamburger loaf has a brownish coagulation. does this mean too hot an oven or too cold an oven?
October 3rd, 2016 at 6:59:02 AM permalink
pew
Quote: Fleastiff
Some general cooking questions.

How can I defrost frozen hamburger meat in an accelerated manner since I often forget to take the saran-wrapped cardboard out of the freezer in time.

I usually mix things like oatmeal or powdered grits into the meat to absorb the grease that I have paid for, but often its simply too greasy to eat. What proportions should I use?

Often the edge of the hamburger loaf has a brownish coagulation. does this mean too hot an oven or too cold an oven?
What kind of roadkill is it? Possum, squirrel meat? It makes a huge difference.
October 3rd, 2016 at 8:22:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: pew
What kind of roadkill is it? Possum, squirrel meat? It makes a huge difference.
Ground beef from the supermarket silly. I'm not some sort of Rhode Islander who would eat a possum. 95 percent of Possums are immune to rabies, a possum eats about six to eight thousand ticks a year.

I think I got the proportions right this time: used bread crumbs, grits, oatmeal, spaghetti sauce, horse radish stuff, pepper, cumin.

It did have a tendency to fall apart when cut with a knife though.
October 3rd, 2016 at 10:28:22 AM permalink
pew
Quote: Fleastiff
Ground beef from the supermarket silly. I'm not some sort of Rhode Islander who would eat a possum. 95 percent of Possums are immune to rabies, a possum eats about six to eight thousand ticks a year.

I think I got the proportions right this time: used bread crumbs, grits, oatmeal, spaghetti sauce, horse radish stuff, pepper, cumin.

It did have a tendency to fall apart when cut with a knife though.
We don't eat possum up here in the north. We're way too sofisticated for that. Throw in an egg or two next time. That will glue it all together.