Cooking thread

October 19th, 2016 at 5:23:06 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Oh, wow. I've always hated peeling onions ... now I find that you can simply roast onions skin and all: butter salt pepper. Wondrous discovery.

M
And my local supermarket is discontinuing natural vanilla flavoring so the bottles are half price for the real stuff from Madascar.

Culinary adventures await.
that "natural" crap is bad for you. Stick with the reasonable facsimile thereof.
October 20th, 2016 at 11:03:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
This Lime Water stuff is over with. Totally and completely over.

If you buy a bag of limes and tote them home in Florida sun, half of them are moldy already.

If you buy individual limes you may wind up in bankruptcy court but even if you don't you still gotta slice the darn things which means mainly sliced fingers and a dripping wet slicing board and kitchen floor.

After you make the water/lime stuff in the blender, you got lime pulp all over the place and still have to remember to refrigerate it.

It soon turns sour and you are drinking rotten-lime water instead of lime-water.

Its just no use.
October 22nd, 2016 at 6:22:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I guess I should not have added butter to a vegetable steamer .. it dripped down into the reservoir.

The sliced peppers came out wilted and dripping of butter.
The asparagras came out wilted but with hard stalks.

The eamame stuff came out as crunchy brown bland stuff, so I've resorted to my usual technique: I add tomato ketchup and close my eyes.

Anyway, that is how my first use of a vegetable steamer went.
October 22nd, 2016 at 5:53:42 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Warning: Tomorrow is Weigh In Day.

I need something to counter the effect of those fermenting soybeans....Yeah, I found out that is what edamame is: soybeans. I would truly have had to be drunk to buy them.
October 23rd, 2016 at 7:03:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
While I still remember what I did:

1/3 cup milk
2 scoops cottage cheese
5 cloves of garlic, quartered (you may want to use less; my garlic philosophy is "there's no such thing as too much garlic")
650 gr. fresh jococque (or Greek yogurt without any added sugar, the consistency and flavor are similar)
1 tsp. corn starch
3 boneless, skinless half breasts of chicken
2 eggs, beaten
breadcrumbs
1 medium-sized onion thinly sliced
200 gr. turkey chorizo (or any other kind)
about 200 gr. manchego cheese, grated

Pre-warm oven to 180 C. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, dip in egg and cover in bread crumbs. Lay on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until it's cooked through.

In a blender mix the milk, garlic, cottage cheese and corn starch and liquefy. Mix with the jocoque (or yogurt) in a bowl.

On a pan, saute the onion until they're soft and brown, remove and set aside. Then cook the chorizo in the same pan and set aside.

Transfer the chicken to an oven safe dish. Cover with the jocoque sauce. On top, sprinkle the onions and chorizo, on top of that add the grated manchego cheese.

Put in the oven on the highest tray and turn on the broiler on hi until the cheese melts and barely begins to brown.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 23rd, 2016 at 9:26:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Photo?
There's no such thing as too much garlic.. Amen.
jocoque... that sent me to wikipedia and beyond. Tnx.
October 24th, 2016 at 9:45:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
BTW, I decided to wash most of the dishes an utensils while the chicken dish was under the broiler. That was too much time. So I wound up with browned cheese and blackened chorizo (which sounds better than "burnt," doesn't it?

Also I had thought of serving the chicken on a bed of pasta. I completely forgot about it until today. Since it's just cooked pasta without anything added, I might do it today.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 26th, 2016 at 1:52:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I have concluded that the new vegetable steamer is worthless. I made hard boiled eggs (so as to have egg salad) and asparagras, but the asparagras wound up being limp, fairly cold and too hard at the stalks.
The eggs are cooling pending my gaining the energy to find out how they turned out. Hate peeling eggs. Hate it more if they are not done.
October 26th, 2016 at 6:36:07 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
I have concluded that the new vegetable steamer is worthless. I made hard boiled eggs (so as to have egg salad) and asparagras, but the asparagras wound up being limp, fairly cold and too hard at the stalks.
The eggs are cooling pending my gaining the energy to find out how they turned out. Hate peeling eggs. Hate it more if they are not done.
Eat the eggs with the skin on. They're healthier that way.
October 26th, 2016 at 6:52:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Even after my breakfast of hibiscus booze, I still know you do not eat egg shells.