Cooking thread

April 10th, 2017 at 3:18:44 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed

I've also seen "pizza" recipes using cauliflower (ground, molded and baked) as a base. But I've never made one.

My wife was going to try that until I mentioned that I wouldn't try it. That is how she ended up with the chicken crust.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 10th, 2017 at 3:23:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
My wife was going to try that until I mentioned that I wouldn't try it.

I've never made it because it's complicated and involves a lot of cleaning up.

I do like cauliflower, from time to time, stir fried and dipped in soy sauce. I don't make it often because I cook for one, and cauliflower heads are huge.

I wonder if the recipes would work with broccoli...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 17th, 2017 at 6:36:23 AM permalink
Nareed
I made scalloped potatoes au gratin with coconut milk.

Take the left over coconut milk you have in the fridge, add a little garlic powder, half a tsp. turmeric, chopped onions, and mix well. Place the potato slices on a baking dish, add the coconut milk mixture, top with grated cheese, and pop in an oven at 200 C for about 90 minutes.

They came off pretty good, but would have benefited from more coconut milk or fewer potatoes.
April 17th, 2017 at 9:56:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I had to use up a bag of onions and a carton of eggs so I cut up the onions (should have used a blender, but my blender's glass jar failed to survive an elbow impact when it was near the edge of the counter), added a quarter pound of butter, a brick of Pepper Jack cheese, half a jar of rosemary, pepper, about half a glass of milk and baked the stuff at 350 for almost two hours. Its like eating raw onions, too much onion, not enough cheese or milk. Too much butter at the bottom of the baking pan, the onions never seem to have really been cooked.

Next time I'll make the onions in a much smaller size. (I've ordered a replacement glass blender jar for about fifteen dollars which is just a tad less than the entire blender originally cost me). I'll add more milk too but the baking dish was already filled to near over-flowing.

Note to all our members who, like me, consider themselves to be chefs: always check for where your oven mitts have wandered to after the maid leaves! Speaking of maid services, I've had to order a new 'thingie' for my cell phone, cause the battery needs charging and I can't find that thingie you put in the wall for it.

On edit: ordered a new glass jar for the blender. Had used that blender alot sometimes three times in one day. Now I've got a square jar with a round lid. Just my luck.
April 27th, 2017 at 8:30:54 AM permalink
Nareed
I made a stew with cabbage, onions, bell pepper and potatoes with coconut milk. It was ok, but rather bland. I managed to fix it by adding pepper and soy sauce before eating it.

Next I want to do turkey chili. I'm not sure whether to use ground or whole turkey breast. I will add some chick peas and lima beans, though.
May 3rd, 2017 at 2:44:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Things I've noticed lately:

Chili comes off much better if I cook my own bean mixture, rather than using canned beans.

I'm now more comfortable eyeballing ingredients, especially spices, rather than measuring them. This makes writing down recipes for others endlessly frustrating:
May 3rd, 2017 at 3:58:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Nareed
I think by calories regular pizza is about 90% non-carb.

No ho ho ho no.. A 5 oz slice of cheese pizza,
thin crust, is 400 calories and 40 grams of carb.
That would blow any Atkins diet out of the
water carb wise. 20g a day is what you normally
get to eat.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 17th, 2017 at 8:43:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anyone know a source for Rapini or Brocoli Raab. No, I don't mean seeds to grow it. The product its self.
May 18th, 2017 at 4:13:55 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Anyone know a source for Rapini or Brocoli Raab. No, I don't mean seeds to grow it. The product its self.
Saute in olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Get a nice crusty Italian roll, fill with rabi or rabe (not raab) and sharp provolone and enjoy. Can be eaten hot or cold.
May 18th, 2017 at 4:16:47 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Sorry I thought you wanted to cook it. If you want to just buy it you can find it at a grocery store. That's where people go to buy food.