Cooking thread

May 18th, 2017 at 7:01:38 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: pew
Sorry I thought you wanted to cook it. If you want to just buy it you can find it at a grocery store. That's where people go to buy food.
Yes, I want to cook it, but I ain't found no grocery stores round here what sell it.
May 18th, 2017 at 8:36:11 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Yes, I want to cook it, but I ain't found no grocery stores round here what sell it.
That's because your in a food desert. Where are all the Italians? Up here in the northeast?
May 18th, 2017 at 8:37:29 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Can you at least get sharp provolone?
May 18th, 2017 at 8:37:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
This week I'm thinking pasta soup and chicken enchiladas, with a side of rice.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 18th, 2017 at 9:24:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: pew
Can you at least get sharp provolone?
I'm already sharp. And yeah, I got me some provolone sliced and unsliced. Got no bread though so the ploughman's lunch is out.
May 18th, 2017 at 9:25:45 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
This week I'm thinking pasta soup and chicken enchiladas, with a side of rice.
Oh good,,, then my having mentioned some green stuff in my recent post will come in handy for you. Green stuff goes well with pasta. Bet you thought I didn't know that. Rapini or Broccoli Raab would be great wtih pasta soup and chicken enchiladas. Add some Greek type yogurt to the soup. Or if you can find a water buffalo that has been fed on emptied poppy husks, use its milk as the basis of a yogurt: most delicious combination of fat and sugar you will ever have.
May 29th, 2017 at 6:44:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Coconut and Pineapple Chicken with Noodles:

200 gr. long, flat noodles cooked and drained
4 chicken milanesas, cooked and cut in bite-sized strips
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 bell pepper thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 cup diced pineapple with only a little syrup (preferably "light" syrup with less sugar)
1 1/3 cup coconut milk
3-4 scoops cottage cheese
2-3 scoops plain yogurt without sugar
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. fine herbs
Ground pepper to taste
3 tsp. corn starch mixed in 1/4 cup cold water

First cook the chicken with a little oil in a large, deep pan. It's easier to cook the milanesas whole and then cut them in strips. Meantime in a blender mix the coconut milk, cottage cheese and yogurt, and liquefy the mix. When you're done with the chicken, cook the onion, bell pepper and garlic, adding pepper here, until the onion is very soft. Set aside.

Now on the same pan, cook the pineapple bits (with or without the syrup) for a little while, until you get some browning here and there. Add the blended mix and let it slowly warm up on minimum heat. When it's warm, add the herbs and spices and mix well. When it begins to bubble, add the corn starch mixed with water and stir. Add the cooked veggies and chicken and mix well. If you have room in the pan, add the noodles and mix the whole thing. If not, do the mixing with the noodles in a serving bowl.

And I paired this with

Mashed potatoes with coconut milk (yes, too much coconut in one meal):

5-6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed (in that order)
1-2 tsp. butter or margarine
1 1/3 cup coconut milk
A pinch of curry powder.

Cook and mash your potatoes. I recommend cutting them in small pieces, as they'll cook faster. Melt the butter in a pan on low heat, add the milk, add the curry, mix well, add the potatoes and mix well.
June 8th, 2017 at 7:50:01 AM permalink
Nareed
1) I found the perfect compliment for the morning's oatmeal: sugar-free Greek-like yogurt. I mix it in and it's a whole different dish altogether.

2) I made picadillo and it came off very well. Also it needed more chilies. But I got the consistency I wanted. Just saute the onions and poblano chilies to within an inch of their lives (I know), then cook the ground beef in the same pan. Next mix 3 tsp corn starch in 1/4 cup of cold water, add this to a cup of beef broth, then add the whole thing to the pan, cover, and let simmer until most of the fluid is gone.

Yummy.
June 8th, 2017 at 3:23:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
I made picadillo, yummy.
That is a coincidence. I bought a plastic thingie of Pico de Gallo. Is it the same thing? I dumped it into a bowl and added the eggs I was going to have to either eat or throw out and baked it at 350 for an hour but all it did was turn into syrupy goop. As usual in my unique style of haute cuise, not at all yummy.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:36:09 AM permalink
Nareed
I really should write down the recipes I make up on the fly. I recall what I used, but not how much (though come to think of it, I think I never measured anything).

I made chicken milanesas with yogurt sauce.

In a blender mix cottage cheese and Greek yogurt (zero sugar) with a pinch of curry powder. Meanwhile in a pan sir fry red onion cut into rings until it's very soft. Add the mix from the blender and stir. Add some oregano, fine herbs and thyme, all crushed. Stir again. When it begins to bubble, add 3 tsp corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water and stir while it continues to boil. Pour over chicken milanesas with noodles.