Cooking thread

October 24th, 2017 at 12:24:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: terapined
One item that seems to be in every recipe
Garlic

Well, that's like saying you need a heat source to cook. I use garlic and onions in pretty much all my recipes, except for deserts. I also like this joke:

I'm skeptical of recipes that call for only one clove of garlic. Unless the recipe is for "making one clove of garlic." And even then, you should use two.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 6th, 2017 at 4:27:03 PM permalink
Nareed
It turns out you can't freeze whipping cream (NOT whipped cream).

Well, actually you can. I did. it just won't be liquid cream when it thaws.

I use whipping cream (known locally as "sweet" cream) in recipes that require heavy cream that's not sour (or yogurt). It works rather well. I last used some in 2015, and I bought too much. So I took the half-liter unopened carton, and stuck it in the freezer. Last weekend I moved it to the fridge to thaw. When I opened it and tried to pour, nothing came out. I squeezed it, and this spongy, creamy mass peeked out, very much like whipped cream.

I'd no idea.
November 7th, 2017 at 11:17:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
I use whipping cream (known locally as "sweet" cream)
Maybe that is where "Sweet Cream Ladies, Forward March" comes from.

Uzbekistan, and elsewhere on the Silk Road, have garlic soup wherein just one serving will have more garlic than most of us eat in a month.

I'm still uprooted by Hurricane Irma so I can't make any almond milk and have to buy it, but the storebought variety has CaCO3 which is chalk. Why do they wan't me to eat chalk?
November 7th, 2017 at 11:32:11 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
In Korea, along with Kimchi, a dish of raw garlic cloves accompanies most meals. You pick up a clove with chopsticks, dip it in some hot sauce and chomp it down. I was shocked. I think of garlic as a seasoning that should not be over used. It didn't seem possible that you could eat it a clove st a time but it's quite good if eaten along with a meat dish.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
November 7th, 2017 at 1:57:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Besure to visit the Museum of Kim Chi if you are ever able to. Over 150 different varieties.

Fermented garlic is in many respects even more healthful and garlic scapes (the above ground green part) are absolutely chock full of vitamins and also best when pickled.
November 7th, 2017 at 1:57:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Besure to visit the Museum of Kim Chi if you are ever able to. Over 150 different varieties.

Fermented garlic is in many respects even more healthful and garlic scapes (the above ground green part) are absolutely chock full of vitamins and also best when pickled.
November 7th, 2017 at 2:31:42 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: JimRockford
In Korea, along with Kimchi, a dish of raw garlic cloves accompanies most meals. You pick up a clove with chopsticks, dip it in some hot sauce and chomp it down. I was shocked.

IMO it's harder to bite down on an onion, or eat bits of wasabi or horseradish.

I pick off the garlic clove sin pickled chilies and eat them like popcorn :) (or I would if there were more of them)
November 21st, 2017 at 4:19:06 PM permalink
Nareed
I want to make cornbread. Does anyone know whether baking it in a cast-iron pan is absolutely essential, or can I use any baking dish?
November 21st, 2017 at 6:15:29 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Anything at all.
November 21st, 2017 at 6:28:41 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Nareed
I want to make cornbread. Does anyone know whether baking it in a cast-iron pan is absolutely essential, or can I use any baking dish?

I dont have a cast iron pan. Some of the recipes I use from the delivery services recommend one, I just make do with what i have. Some call for cooking on stove then into oven with cast iron. I use a regular stove top cooking pan and transfer food to an oven pan
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"