Cooking thread

December 21st, 2017 at 8:35:44 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Yeah, I suggested pineapple but my daughter wanted coconut. She got me wrapped, so coconut it was.
December 21st, 2017 at 10:25:46 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mosca
Yeah, I suggested pineapple but my daughter wanted coconut. She got me wrapped, so coconut it was.

Most Dad's are in the same position :-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 26th, 2017 at 4:48:54 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I made cornbread yesterday (without a cast-iron skillet!). It turned out ok, and I have some ideas on what to do next time I make it. I can see why people add sugar or honey to it, too, but it really doesn't need it.

I wonder if I could make it in loaves. I've a mold that would be perfect for that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 2nd, 2018 at 2:20:00 PM permalink
Nareed
Experimenting with cornbread, I found it goes well crumbled into a bowl of chili, and it can also be crumbled and mixed with Greek yogurt.

I made a second batch using butter instead of vegetable oil. The taste and texture changed subtly, giving it a hint of tamal-like feel. I'm thinking about mixing it with mole and chicken.
January 2nd, 2018 at 5:50:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
. I'm thinking about mixing it with mole and chicken.
You sent me to Dictionary . com when you used the word mole. At first I thought you meant the mouse-like creature, so I'm very glad I found out its a Mexican sauce of some sort. I was real worried for awhile.
January 2nd, 2018 at 7:09:03 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Experimenting with cornbread, I found it goes well crumbled into a bowl of chili, and it can also be crumbled and mixed with Greek yogurt.

I made a second batch using butter instead of vegetable oil. The taste and texture changed subtly, giving it a hint of tamal-like feel. I'm thinking about mixing it with mole and chicken.

I made cornbread this weekend to go with the ham and bean soup we made from Christmas leftovers. Min e wasn't great, the box stuff is still much better.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 3rd, 2018 at 8:17:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Min e wasn't great, the box stuff is still much better.

We don't get the boxed stuff here. Even finding white cornmeal not meant for tortillas was difficult. I found only one brand and only at Walmart.
January 15th, 2018 at 8:40:45 AM permalink
Nareed
I made the cornbread with mole and chicken.

Mole is an odd thing, not just one of many hot sauces available in Mexican cuisine. It's made up of a huge number of ingredients (abt. 20-30 depending on variety), including a variety of chiles, cacao, spices, fruit, and more. I suppose it can be made from scratch, but I don't now of anyone who does. Usually you buy it in the store or in an informal market, either in paste or powder form. There's also a ready-to-serve version these days.

The paste and powder are mixed with water or chicken broth (though you can use other types of broth), and then heated on a pot, usually adding more broth until you reach the desired consistency.

This is the first time I made any (I had some powdered spicy Poblano lying around), and it came off too thick. I had some left over, which I froze for further use.

The end result, though, was quite good. The cornbread mixes just fine with the mole, shredded chicken, and Manchego cheese. It was a lot of work, though, baking cornbread, boiling the chicken (to make the broth), and mixing the mole (aside from all the prep like grating the cheese, shredding the chicken, etc.)

I expect I'll make it again someday. For now I'm out of cornmeal anyway.
January 15th, 2018 at 2:20:53 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I made the cornbread with mole and chicken.

Mole is an odd thing, not just one of many hot sauces available in Mexican cuisine.

I don't eat much Mexican food but I have probably had some mole at least a dozen times at different restaurants.. I had no idea mole would be considered a hot sauce. I must only get the bland American version.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 15th, 2018 at 2:26:16 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I don't eat much Mexican food but I have probably had some mole at least a dozen times at different restaurants.. I had no idea mole would be considered a hot sauce. I must only get the bland American version.

I think any sauce you get in Mexico will be hotter.

As for mole, some are incredibly hot, especially the artisanal ones found in informal markets, especially in small towns. There are very mild varieties, often labelled as "mole dulce" (sweet mole). I think they just add more sugar to that one.