Cooking thread

July 9th, 2018 at 8:37:23 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
so I made chicken salad for sandwiches on this 'ancient bread' which contains quinona and teff and amaranth in amounts less than the ink it takes to print those words on the label

I used a can of chicken, four dollops of mayonnaise, pepper, cinnamon, turmeric and a packet from that ramen stuff. Why does it taste so awful?

Because you mixed up a lot of stuff that doesn’t go together, all out of proportion. That packet of Ramen is enough to flavor an entire chicken. And cinnamon in chicken salad? No thanks.

Try a can of chicken, 1/4 cup of chopped celery, a slice of onion diced up, salt and pepper and enough mayo to hold it all together. Maybe some parsley. Chicken salad is supposed to be bland, and survive on the mix of the textures.
July 17th, 2018 at 11:38:27 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Bought small bag of sweet potatoes and also a small bag of little red 'new' potatoes Boiled them in water but dozed off so they got more than ten minutes.

Been having lunch for the last three days from it. Its just that potatoes and a few pats of butter ain't much of a balanced meal. I forget what spices go with potatoes. Lunch was five new potatoes and two or three sweet potatoes. Nuked them for 3 minutes but new potatoes were so hot they burned my mouth and sweet potatoes were still cold from the fridge.
September 18th, 2018 at 9:40:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I do enjoy black pepper and milk but the pepper tends to stick to the cup or float on the top of the milk and this makes drinking it difficult particularly if I happen to inhale any of the pepper floating on top.

Does anyone know a way of forcing the pepper to go into suspension and remain suspended in the milk for awhile?
January 17th, 2019 at 10:53:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Does anyone know a way of forcing the pepper to go into suspension and remain suspended in the milk for awhile?
I NO LONGER DRINK MILK.

Been reading EvenBob's posts about cauliflower rice and did a search on it this morning and less than five hours later, I viewed a news article about a murder ... and there was a box to click for me to get cauliflower recipies.

I have to order fifty dollars worth to get the free shipping, its $3.50 for two ounces, so it sure is expensive.
January 17th, 2019 at 11:25:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I NO LONGER DRINK MILK.

Been reading EvenBob's posts about cauliflower rice and did a search on it this morning and less than five hours later, I viewed a news article about a murder ... and there was a box to click for me to get cauliflower recipies.

I have to order fifty dollars worth to get the free shipping, its $3.50 for two ounces, so it sure is expensive.

Google it. You can find it MUCH cheaper.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 28th, 2019 at 4:37:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: DRich
Google it. You can find it MUCH cheaper.
Tnx.
Looks like I will be relying on delivery services due to mobility problems, so I will have to obtain entire menus at a time not just the main ingredients.

So in addition to a carton of eggs, I will have to order celery stalks, and whatever else such as olives, a carrot, etc. goes into egg salad.

it is very difficult for me when the food bank supplies mainly junk food and pastries. Its hard to turn down 'free stuff' particularly when all that sugar will knock me out for an hour or even two hours and provide some needed pain-relief induced sleep.

Much of my medical problems were acquired in the in the service of my country, I just wish I had done a better job at it. Its the same way with the local food bank, I used to donate to them, now I wish they would do a better job than to bring expired and unrefrigerated hamburger patties to a gout sufferer who lacks will power as well as funds. I would prefer canned cherries packed in water, but all they have is cherry flavored sugar-water that does not help with the gout pain or the diabetes.
January 28th, 2019 at 1:17:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

it is very difficult for me when the food bank supplies mainly junk food and pastries. Its hard to turn down 'free stuff' particularly when all that sugar will knock me out for an hour or even two hours and provide some needed pain-relief induced sleep.

Aren't you pushing 80? Morbidly obese,
practically immobile, in pain. Why not
just eat anything you like, changing
your diet at this late date is closing
the barn door after the horse is long
gone. You should have considered
all this 10 years ago when you were
powering down Twinkies and cheeseburgers
like you would live forever.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2019 at 3:32:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
You should have considered all this 10 years ago when you were powering down Twinkies and cheeseburgers like you would live forever.

Have not had twinkies since I was twelve. Never liked them. Changes in diet have more immediate effects than you seem to think.
January 28th, 2019 at 4:57:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Have not had twinkies since I was twelve

Gee, I think I was using a random selection
to make a point. You're reaping the 'benefits'
of a lifestyle that should have been dealt
with 10 years ago. I'm 69 and am totally
aware that from now on, things do not
get easier.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 28th, 2019 at 5:18:11 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Evenbob
I think I was using a random selection to make a point..

okay. even as akid I liked liver and onions as well as liver and bacon.
Of course Hannibal Lector loved liver and Chianti.

Random enough for you?