Cooking thread

June 12th, 2013 at 6:19:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There's a simple side dish I make from time to time. Simply buy a 500 gr of frozen peas and carrots, defrost in one cup of boiling water, let them boil a bit, drain, add a little margarine or butter (about 1 tablespoon) mix and you're done.

Well, in the MSS buffet they had this same side dish, except it also had pearl onions. I loved it. So I got some yesterday and made it. It's no longer as simple, though.

First you need to peel the onions. They feel more like spherical garlic cloves than regular onions. There's an outer paper-like skin, then an inner thick onion skin. The easy way to peel them is to put them in boiling water for three minutes, next cut off the tip and gently squeeze the onion. The rest of the onion pops out rather easily. Afterwards you need to cut off the roots.

That's a great deal of work, and in the end your onions go from 300 gr. to about 250 or so (I'm guessing, naturally).

Next you need to finish boiling the onions. So you put them in a clean pot of boiling water for a few minutes, then add the peas and carrots. Now, as opposed to the simpler recipe, you defrost them at room temperature first. Let the whole mix boil, drain, add margarine or butter, mix and you're done.

While it was really good, I can't help but think I should try it with cebollitas next time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 27th, 2013 at 3:29:33 PM permalink
Nareed
My mom asked me to make my chop suey for a family meal last Saturday. She specified no cabbage, which I substituted with snow peas and broccoli. I also had to scale up the recipe.

The result? So so, I'm afraid. I wound up using too much chicken broth and not enough corn starch. I was hampered, too, by the lack of a big wok or pan and had to use a pot. The vegetables came out great, but the sauce didn't thicken properly and it was a bit off.

The verdict was pretty much "It's ok."

I think the old expression is "No cigar."

I want to cook something new this weekend, but I've no idea what. My time, again is consumed by work. And saturday morning I want to buy some eyeliner and blush to take advantage of a get 4 pay for two items offer.

Anyway: any ideas? I was thinking of something without meat. Perhaps if I see nice round tomatoes I can try to make pasta sauce again...
July 1st, 2013 at 1:32:36 PM permalink
Nareed
I made the cottage cheesecake again, only this time I used "Greek" yogurt (there seems to be much disagreement about what constitutes authentic "Greek"). Specifically I used Yoplait, which is the only brand sold here that isn't high in fat. The result is a whiter inside, much firmer than with the regular, non-fat yogurt. I added a sprinkle of nutmeg to the batter, too.

The taste remains pretty close, but I think it will need mroe lime next time, say 1 1/2 rather than 1. And more cottage cheese as well. About perhaps 2 cups rather than 1 1/2.
July 7th, 2013 at 6:47:22 PM permalink
Nareed
New recipe, Loose pasta bake:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.com/2013/07/loose-pasta-bake.html

Enjoy!
July 7th, 2013 at 10:25:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I made the cottage cheesecake again, only this time I used "Greek" yogurt (there seems to be much disagreement about what constitutes authentic "Greek").

Greek yogurt is a fairly clever marketing term being pushed by the Greek corporation Fage (Φάγε) for strained yogurt or yogurt which has been strained in a cloth or paper bag or filter to remove the whey (suero de leche), giving a consistency between that of yogurt and cheese. Many cultures strain yogurt, especially Lebanese, Syrians, and other Arabs.

It's basically the same thing as jocoque which is clearly a Nauhatl word.

Compare ingredients.
July 8th, 2013 at 7:00:47 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin

No, it isn't. I've had them both and I can tell you it's not.

Regular jocoque is unsweetened and has a consistency like that of cream cheese. Further, they don't make low-fat jocoque, except for one brand of "fresh" jocoque; and that one has a consistency between regular and "Greek" yogurt.

And the word strikes me as being Arabic in derivation.

Quote:
Compare ingredients.

Pretty much all dairy products have the same ingredients :)
July 8th, 2013 at 9:36:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
And the word strikes me as being Arabic in derivation.

The word "jocoque" is from Classical Nahuatl xococ (“something sour”). But the product itself is based on Arabic "labneh"

August 12th, 2013 at 2:31:49 PM permalink
Nareed
I've been cooking every week, but I haven't been experimenting much, nor have such meager epxeriments been wholly successful. Ergo nothing much new to report.

Yesterday I tried a red wine beef stew with mushrooms, potatoes, carrots and onions. The result was ok, but I made several mistakes. To wit, I used the wrong cut of beef and the wrong red wine. I knew the wine wasn't right when I tasted it before using it, but what else was I going to do with an opened bottle of Cabernet? Drink it? Please! Still, for all that, the dish came out passably well. That is, I find it enjpyabel to eat. It's just not what I'd hoped..

I am almost satisfied with my recipe for potato soup. I just made a tiny error last time, which consisted of not paying attention to what I was doing. If you must know, I added a diced bell pepper meant for a different dish. It's not a good idea to have two subtle flavors comepting in the same dish.

I had a little more success two weeks ago with chicken in creamy paprika sauce with potatoes, onions and mushrooms. Only I didn't blend enough sauce, and I left it too long in the oven (not to self: a thick, creamy sauce doesn't boil).

Small things like that tend to make me seem like a beginner cook who's been at it less than two years and doesn't practice enough... Oh, wait! :)
August 13th, 2013 at 7:33:17 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin

Greek yogurt is a fairly clever marketing term

Its all basically the same thing as clabbered milk which used to sell at ten cents a pail.
August 13th, 2013 at 7:39:59 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What about sausages. I have these packs of supermarket sausages that talk about various grilling methods but all I've got is a microwave. They are about five to six inches long and about the size of a quarter in diameter.
How long do I zap them? Do I prick them with a fork first?
Please don't talk about temperatures... ain't got no thermometers.
And please don't talk about washing hands after pork... They got three separate panels on the packet that say that. I ain't got no running water.