So I'll be spying on you, ok?

December 19th, 2013 at 12:51:57 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The other week the Nexus's "Google Now" function began to notify me about my flight to Monterrey, as well as showing me the weather there.

Commonly for business trips the tickets are bought by someone at the office and I get an email with the tickets and schedule. My common practice is to re-send that to my Gmail account, so I'll ahve easy access to it at home (and now in the tablet).

I did not know one Google service was reading my email and notifying another service (of course, it may be all just be some kind of "integrated" Google Hydra as far as I know). It strikes me as an invasion fo privacy, not to mention I don't need to be reminded I'm flying on a given day. Though I understand some people do, I can see how that would happen, and of course it would be easier if the "system" automatically knew such things rather than needint to inform it manually.

I should mention, too, that as much as there is to admire about America and American customs, I've never understood the obsession with the weather. But that's subject matter for another thread.

Now, the name onm my plane ticket is not the name in my Google account. Since I often get plane ticket emails from others in the office (long story), I tried re-sending the next one to my Gmail. Sure enough, Google Now was reminding me of that trip, too, and giving me the weather at the destination. So the name on the ticket is not aprticualrly important.

Is there a way to stop it from doing this? I find the notifications distracting and the means intrusive.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 19th, 2013 at 1:20:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
If someone here doesn't know, look up words like opting out of browser tracking. I get all kinds of targeted ads.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 19th, 2013 at 2:10:55 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
If someone here doesn't know, look up words like opting out of browser tracking. I get all kinds of targeted ads.

I don't mind that. Mostly I ignore ads anyway. Though I find it hilarious that if I click on one, I keep seeing it everywhere for weeks on end. This happens even in the most unlikely sites. Say on ZDNet, PCMag and Real Clear Technology I'll keep seeing the same ad for Chicwish or Daily Look.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER